Caption +

Nicholas Byron Titus, 21 Photo by

Show MoreShow Less

The El Paso County Sheriff's office Wednesday identified the man who was killed by officers during a police chase in Widefield as Nicholas Titus, 21.

Titus, described in an obituary as a construction worker from Logansport, Ind., was shot by police just before noon Friday at a 7-Eleven in Widefield.

Lt. Jeff Kramer of the El Paso County Sheriff’s office said Colorado Springs police were tailing Titus in connection with multiple felony warrants.

El Paso County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Joe Roybal Wednesday declined to reveal any information on the warrants because the investigation into the shooting is still underway by the sheriff's office and District Attorney's office.

The sheriff's office is handling the investigation because the shooting occurred in rural El Paso County.

The chase led police to the store at 5 Widefield Blvd — near Widefield and Fontaine boulevards when the armed suspect, driving a small red pickup truck, rammed a police cruiser, Kramer said.

Police fired at the man who died at the scene, Kramer said.

Helen Cravener, who works at Spirits House Liquors at 6 Widefield Blvd., said she was stocking shelves just before noon when she heard “a loud boom and at least six or seven shots.”

“And then there were lots of police everywhere,” Cravener said.

Kramer said the incident ended at 11:59 a.m.

Immediate family members of Titus did not want to talk publicly about their relative's death, but issued at statement Thursday through the Fisher Funeral Chapel in Logansport, Ind.

The statement said that Titus "made some wrong decisions. But in his heart, as everyone who knew him would attest, he was a good person who will be greatly missed. All we can say is this is a tragedy we hope that no other family ever has to endure."

Friday’s incident was third time in 2012 a Colorado Springs police officer has shot someone.

On Feb. 28, Dominic Oliver was shot after he had taken several people hostage at Urological Associates on Printers Parkway. Police tried to rescue four people who were hiding in the building when Oliver saw the officers and raised his gun in the direction of police, who fired two shots.

Oliver died at Memorial Hospital. The 4th Judicial District Attorney ruled that the Feb. 28 shooting was justified.

The second incident happened early Dec. 4 when 23-year-old Robert Kresky was gunned down by police near the intersection of Bijou Street and Swope Avenue.

Kresky was shot after a chase that began near Powers and Astrozon boulevards when police tried to pull over a stolen vehicle. The vehicle collided with a car near Bijou and Swope.

That’s when Kresky apparently tried to run from police and was shot.

The officer involved in Kresky’s shooting was placed on administrative leave until the investigation is complete, police said.

Load comments