Officials from the Gilpin County Sheriff's office announced Saturday that two Central City firefighters found dead Friday died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to a Facebook post by the sheriff's office.
Lt. Cody Allen, 29 and his wife Shelby, 27, who both grew up in Gilpin County, were found dead in their home Friday morning.
The couple married two years ago and looked forward to raising their family in Gilpin, according to a release from the sheriff's office.
Cody Allen joined the Central City Fire Department in July 2009 and was recently hired as a full-time firefighter. While his wife joined the department as a volunteer in February 2016.
"Our hearts and prayers are with the Allen family, Central City Fire Department Family, and our community at this devastating time," officials from the sheriff's department wrote in a release on Friday.
According to statistics from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 50,000 people are seen in the emergency room each year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, and at least 430 deaths are caused by carbon monoxide.
The incident remains under investigation by the sheriff's office.