Jim and Laura Johnson, owners of G.E. Johnson Construction, a Colorado Springs-based general contracting firm, are one of three couples who have given a total of $22 million to the College of Engineering at Kansas State University.
The Johnsons have invested in naming the G.E. Johnson Department of Architectural Engineering and Construction Science in honor of Jim's father, Gil E. Johnson.
Gil Johnson founded GE Johnson Construction in 1967.
A 1955 graduate of Kansas State University, Gil Johnson also made donations to benefit the College of Engineering students and faculty.
Jim and Laura Johnson have carried on the family tradition of investing in the college and the success of its students and faculty.
]Jim Johnson earned his degree in construction science from Kansas State University in 1984.
He served on the Engineering Advisory Council, received the Professional Progress Award in 2003, is a member of the College of Engineering Hall of Fame and currently serves on the College of Engineering's Innovation and Inspiration Campaign steering committee.
The other major donors are Ike and Letty Evans of Bluffton, S.C., and Tim and Sharon Taylor of The Woodlands, Texas.