It's a big festival weekend in southern Colorado with Oktoberfest in Colorado Springs, the Pueblo Chile & Frijoles Festival and Harvest Fest 2021 festival in Cañon City scheduled. There's more on tap, too.
Here's what's happening on Sunday:
- One of the most popular times to drive south, the Pueblo Chile & Frijoles Festival in Historic Downtown Pueblo/Union Avenue. Huge roasters are fired up with fresh garlic to fill freezer bags for the year. Or it's the inspiration for major green chile dinners right now. A 27-year tradition of deliciousness. To go with the chile shopping and farmers market in a fair atmosphere, a Jalapeno Eating contest, parade of Chihuahuas, music and food demonstrations. $5 gate admission. tinyurl.com/4zxan688
- Oktoberfest weekend with beer, music, schnapps tasting, weiner-dog dash, classes and more at Western Museum of Mining & Industry, 225 North Gate Blvd., $10 parking off Bass Pro Drive. 11 a.m.-5 p.m. csoktoberfest.com
- Alpacas are lovably adorable and you can see 100 of them, all ages from 7 weeks to 21 years old, during the annual special days at Wild Hair Alpacas, 5815 Mountain Shadow View. See the animals and feed some of them, see craft demonstrations like spinning that cuddly fiber and visit the farm store. Masks required in the store and anyone not vaccinated is asked to wear a mask at the ranch. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. wildhairalpacas.com
- Such a pretty season to visit Mueller State Park and this weekend there's something extra special in the Visitors Center, the Friends of Mueller State Park Fall Art Show featuring and supporting area artists. A portion of sales goes to the work of the Friends. Besides the show there's plenty of time for a hike, too. Hours 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Admittance free with Annual Park Pass or $9 per vehicle, 21045 Colorado 67, Divide. friendsofmuellersp.com/fall-art-show
- They'll be riding and roping to honor fallen officers in the annual 10-33 State Trooper Memorial Roping, 8 a.m. Sunday at Norris-Penrose Stadium Arena, 1045 Lower Gold Camp Road. Money raised is for families of the fallen. facebook.com/1033STMR
- A great time to visit the Abbey Winery in Cañon City, Harvest Fest 2021. Wine tasting, gourmet taste treats, local cheeses and produce, fresh breads and the great outdoors. No kids' activities this year. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. A free event, wine tasting is $10. 3011 E. Highway 50. More info here
THROUGH OCT. 3
- Several thousand busy volunteers will be hard at work over nine days during the annual Creek Week Cleanup and you can help, too. Areas needing some loving care include trails, parks, open spaces and waterways from Palmer Lake downstream the whole Fountain Creek area. Join a project or create your own. To register: fountain-crk.com/register.
NOTE: Check websites for last-minute changes or cancellations because of COVID-19.