Work For Us
As a next career step, it doesn't get much better than a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper in the heart of Colorado Springs. The Gazette is the preferred source for news and information among the nearly half million people residing in El Paso and Teller counties. Our employees play an integral part in publishing the local daily newspaper, as well as gazette.com , coloradosprings.com , outtherecolorado.com and via our social media channels.
The Gazette employs a diverse group of talented people and offers its employees an exceptional benefits package. If you are interested in applying for one or more of our positions, download our application and send it, along with other requirements mentioned in the ad to the listed contact person.
INTERNSHIP PROGRAM: 2015
The Gazette is Colorado Springs’ daily newspaper with a newsroom of about 60 people working on our newspaper and online sites. We offer both paid and unpaid (for-credit) internships all year.
Duration and specific dates are arranged according to the needs of the interns and the editors. newsroom of about 60 people working on our newspaper and online sites. We offer both paid and unpaid (for-credit) internships all year. We are currently accepting applications for our summer 2015 intern positions.
Please address Photo department internship queries to Mark Reis at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who Is Eligible
- Preferred candidates are college Journalism students in their junior or senior year.
- Applicants must have previous newsroom experience and clips.
- Self-reliance, computer literacy and social media skills are required. Video and audio production skills are a plus.
- Reporting interns must have access to a reliable car.
- Interns who are awarded an unpaid internship must be able to arrange with their school to obtain college credits for their work here before the internship begins.
- Reporting interns may be called upon to write for any news section of our paper and online sites, depending on our needs and their interests and skills. They do general assignment stories and an occasional project.
- Copy-editing and design interns can expect evening work.
Deadline for applications is Feb. 1, 2015.
- Applicants should send a resume, no more than six examples of their best work and a cover letter that includes availability and qualifications.
- Cover letter should include preferred beat or interest.
- Applications should be mailed to:
30 East Pikes Peak Ave
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
You may email your material to email@example.com. Include "intern application" in the subject line.
Direct specific questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Gazette’s digital team is looking for a front-end developer who is motivated to combine the art of design with the art of programming. Our ideal candidate is a motivated self-learner who is a creative, totally awesome and team-oriented person. You’ll fit on our team if you are someone who wakes up every morning eager to work on challenging interactive digital projects in a fast-paced media environment.Who we are
Most describe our team as a group of close knit, incredibly talented and highly caffeinated people. We spend our days building next generation enterprise web sites, landing pages, interactive experiences, and native applications.What you’ll do
In this fast-paced role you must be able to forge relationships across the organization to ensure alignment and effective execution.
- Execute small to medium-sized digital projects from design and wireframes through front-end implementation
- Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability
- Innovate new ways to visualize content for our digital audiences
- Create stand-alone visual content features and as well as integrated interactive projects
- Support the company’s analytics, search engine marketing and search engine optimization efforts as well as all websites in the company’s portfolio
- Work closely with other technical staff to plan the most efficient design and implementation of content features
- Strong knowledge of user-centric design and development concepts plus extensive experience using Adobe's Creative Suite to produce concepts
- Demonstrated visual design expertise; capacity for creating engaging and usable UI designs and layouts with a propensity towards simplification and mobile first thinking
- Up-to-date knowledge of modern front-end frameworks including: Bootstrap, Backbone, CSS3, SASS, LESS, HTML5, jQuery and a RESTful API
- Strong knowledge of content management systems including Wordpress
- Cross-browser/platform web development best practices, using browser development tools
- Understanding of local, national and international news developments
- Experience with high traffic, bandwidth optimized websites utilizing enterprise architecture
- Familiarity with Basecamp or other task management software
- Expert use of sarcasm and sharp wit
- Passionate about your craft
- Excited about the future of news and media in a software driven world
- Experience working with version control (preferably git)
- 4+ years of experience in digital products, desktop, mobile, UI design and development
- Strong online portfolio with demonstrated examples of designing great user-centered experiences and applications
- Knowledge of how design impacts development; a knack for constructing dynamic, interactive designs that are technically feasible and prudent
- A bachelor’s degree in visual/graphic design, marketing or related field or equivalent experience
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by most people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements. Scheduling flexibility is required to accommodate changing business needs.
Send resume to: email@example.com