Three people were airlifted from Cripple Creek after a fire started on the roof of a motel overnight.
Two people sustained severe but not life-threatening burns. The third was an officer who inhaled too much smoke. The officer's lungs have cleared, but he will be held overnight in the hospital, said city spokesman Steve Kitzman.
The fire started about 3 a.m. Tuesday on the roof of the Cripple Creek Motel on Bison Street on the city's eastern edge. Firefighters put out the fire about 40 minutes after arriving but said the top floor was destroyed. Because of that, the bottom floor is too unsafe to use, shutting down the entire motel.
Twenty-five guests, including one child under age 2, were evacuated overnight to the nearby Gold King Mountain Inn. Wildwood Casino owns the motel and the inn.
The fire was accidental, though the exact cause isn't yet known, city officials said. Colorado 67 reopened as of 7:30 a.m.