If you like steak, here are some specials to check out. And if you haven't been to these restaurants, what better way to experience them than with less hurt to your budget?
- Cowboy Star Restaurant and Butcher Shop, 5198 N. Nevada Ave., serves up a smoking deal for steak frites during happy hours. You'll get a 9-ounce steak with fries for $9. The item is regularly $18 on the bar menu. Happy hours are 2 to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 4 to 9 p.m. Sundays. Details: 639-7440, cowboystarcs.com.
- Briarhurst Manor, 404 Manitou Ave., Manitou Springs, is celebrating 40 years in business and a new roof with an Early Bird Special, 5 to 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays. You must be seated before 6 p.m. for the deal. For $19 per person you get steak Diane and half a lobster tail. Offer ends Wednesday and is not valid with other discounts or promotions. Reservations required at opentable.com.
- The Steakhouse at Flying Horse, 1880 Weiskopf Point, offers the Prime Time Spring Special through June 30. For $49 per person you get an 8-ounce filet mignon Oscar, two broiled jumbo shrimp, steamed asparagus and mashed potatoes. Details: 494-1222, flyinghorseclub.com.
- The Famous Steak House, 31 N. Tejon St., offers Sunday Steak Night, 4 to 10 p.m.
For $34.95 per person (plus tax and tip) you get a three-course dinner with a choice of Maytag (blue cheese) iceberg wedge or Caesar salad; choice of filet mignon, rib-eye or organic Scottish salmon; and a choice of New York cheesecake or flourless chocolate torte.
Crave Real Burger, 7465 N. Academy Blvd., has entered the Drunken Mushroom burger in the James Beard Foundation Blended Burger Competition. Fans can vote once a day at bit.ly/VoteForCrave until July 31. The five chefs with the most votes get to travel to New York City in October to prepare their burgers at the James Beard House. The burger consists of a patty made with 75 percent Colorado Proud beef and 25 percent sautéed shiitake and cremini mushrooms blended with fresh thyme, rosemary and garlic. The patty is topped off with truffle mayonnaise, Parmesan, Gruyere and Swiss cheeses, ketchup and drunken onions with tempura-fried shiitake and cremini mushrooms. It is served with au jus for dipping. Visit craverealburgers.com for more locations.
Farm to table
Seeds Community Café will have the Sustainability Summit at Venetucci Farm, 5210 S. U.S. 85, 6 to 9 p.m., June 18. At the free event the state of the local food sustainability movement will be addressed by the following speakers: Jill Gaebler, Colorado Springs city councilwoman and chair of the Colorado Springs Food Policy Advisory Council; Steve Saint, co-founder of the Local Food Working Group; and Doug Wiley, farmer member of Arkansas Valley Organic Growers Cooperative. A light appetizer buffet will be served.
Reservations are required: Go to facebook.com/SeedsCafe and click on events.
'KVOR Table Talk'
Guests on the "KVOR Table Talk" radio show at 1 p.m. Saturday:
- Heather and Andrew Darrigan, owners of The Food Designers Catering, 115 S. 25th St., talk about Venue32, 2432 Cucharras St., a new sister company to their catering business, which will be open for special events. Details: 632-5414, fooddesignerscatering.com.
- Sharon Dahlen, owner of Cherokee's of Manitou, 351 Manitou Ave., Manitou Springs, is joined by her daughter, Cari Thomason, to talk about The Cheese Shop, which they have opened in Cherokee's. Details: 685-3508, squareup.com/store/ cherokeesofmanitou, facebook.com/cherokeesofmanitou.
- Josh Rodriguez, proprietor of Ted's Montana Grill, 1685 Briargate Parkway, talks about the return of customer favorite dishes, including Ted's Strawberry Shortcake, as well as the health benefits of bison.
Details: 598-6195, tedsmontanagrill.com.
- Judy Purcell, local author of "Serve and Savor" cookbook, talks about her cookbook and the Father's Day grilling class she will teach at Ranch Foods Direct, 1228 E. Fillmore St., 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 18. Cost is $35.
Reservations at savoringtoday.com/events.
Send tips about restaurant openings, closings and specials to email@example.com, 636-0271, Twitter: @tffoodie or Facebook Teresa Farney.