<![CDATA[Colorado Springs Gazette RSS - fire]]> http://gazette.com/rss/fire Wed, 04 May 2016 23:14:32 -0600 Zend_Feed http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss <![CDATA[World's largest supertanker moves into its base at Colorado Springs Airport]]> http://gazette.com/worlds-largest-supertanker-moves-into-its-base-at-colorado-springs-airport/article/1575327?custom_click=rss http://gazette.com/worlds-largest-supertanker-moves-into-its-base-at-colorado-springs-airport/article/1575327?custom_click=rss

The nation's largest firefighting aircraft is ready to call Colorado Springs home.

Global SuperTanker Services LLC company CEO and founder Jim Wheeler, brought the Boeing 747-400 to Colorado Springs Airport on Tuesday ahead of an invitation-only grand opening Thursday. A public open house is planned this summer.

The massive aircraft had been in flight testing, maintenance and painting near Tucson, Ariz., and must complete another two to four weeks of testing, engineering work and other reviews before it is certified by the Federal Aviation Administration for firefighting use, Wheeler said Tuesday.



Read more on Colorado Springs Gazette


]]>
Wed, 04 May 2016 09:53:57 -0600
<![CDATA[Trash fire sparks grass fire in Calhan]]> http://gazette.com/trash-fire-sparks-grass-fire-in-calhan/article/1574930?custom_click=rss http://gazette.com/trash-fire-sparks-grass-fire-in-calhan/article/1574930?custom_click=rss

Firefighters knocked down a grass fire in Calhan on Wednesday that started as a trash fire.

A homeowner was burning on his property in the 700 block of Antelope Drive around 12 p.m. Wednesday when the wind picked up and spread flames, according to the Ellicott Fire Department.

In the 10 minutes it took firefighters to knock down, the blaze scorched about an acre of property, some of which belonged to the resident's neighbor, Ellicott said.

The department warned the community against burning during periods of high wind.

It's unknown if there will be any charges.

Another fire was reported Wednesday in southeast Colorado Springs.



Read more on Colorado Springs Gazette


]]>
Wed, 27 Apr 2016 16:29:05 -0600
<![CDATA[Colorado Springs Fire Department stresses need for safer hash oil extraction]]> http://gazette.com/colorado-springs-fire-department-stresses-need-for-safer-hash-oil-extraction/article/1574890?custom_click=rss http://gazette.com/colorado-springs-fire-department-stresses-need-for-safer-hash-oil-extraction/article/1574890?custom_click=rss

While community members were advocating for stricter marijuana regulations that would criminalize people growing in excess, the Colorado Springs Fire Department was making a plea against another potentially dangerous legal substance.

The production of hash oil is turning deadly, the department warned Tuesday.

In February, Thomas Chmielewski was extracting marijuana oil using butane when it exploded in the kitchen of his San Marcos Drive home. He escaped without injury.

Another person extracting the oil in a 31st Street apartment last week wasn't as lucky. The explosion and subsequent fire sent the person to the hospital with burns.



Read more on Colorado Springs Gazette


]]>
Tue, 26 Apr 2016 20:30:23 -0600
<![CDATA[Neighbors grabbed garden hoses to help battle grass fire in Pulpit Rock Park]]> http://gazette.com/neighbors-grabbed-garden-hoses-to-help-battle-grass-fire-in-pulpit-rock-park/article/1574753?custom_click=rss http://gazette.com/neighbors-grabbed-garden-hoses-to-help-battle-grass-fire-in-pulpit-rock-park/article/1574753?custom_click=rss

Bev Linder was in evacuation mode, watching out her living room window as flames crept over the small hill separating her backyard from Pulpit Rock Park.

Then, the wind shifted.

"It was coming toward us and then it just changed," Linder said. "I fell to my knees by my couch and thanked God because it's a miracle."

The Linders were among nine families living in the 800 block of Pulpit Rock Circle South who had to be evacuated when flames from a grass fire reached within feet of their homes, Sunday. Bev and her husband Mike had time to pack some items they weren't willing to lose, like photos. Bev also grabbed her toothbrush and pajamas, she said.

The fire was reported in the popular hiking spot Pulpit Rock Open



Read more on Colorado Springs Gazette


]]>
Mon, 25 Apr 2016 07:06:38 -0600
<![CDATA[Neighbors: Man saved lives by waking neighbors during apartment fire in Colorado Springs]]> http://gazette.com/neighbors-man-saved-lives-by-waking-neighbors-during-apartment-fire-in-colorado-springs/article/1574759?custom_click=rss http://gazette.com/neighbors-man-saved-lives-by-waking-neighbors-during-apartment-fire-in-colorado-springs/article/1574759?custom_click=rss

Heroes don't always wear capes - this one wore swimming trunks.

That's the image many of the 44 displaced Canyon Ranch Apartment residents have of the person who alerted them to a massive fire ripping through their complex late Saturday, and helped them get out. It's all Ty Morrison was wearing when he left the jacuzzi and noticed flames glowing through an apartment window.

No one was yelling fire. No one was out period, he said.

"It was the quietest thing you could hear, but with fire crackling in the background," Morrison, 27, said.

He ran inside and immediately started banging on doors. He kept going back in, despite the staircase catching fire, he said.

Emma Statham is thankful he did.



Read more on Colorado Springs Gazette


]]>
Mon, 25 Apr 2016 05:56:05 -0600
<![CDATA[Dog missing and house a total loss in western Colorado Springs fire]]> http://gazette.com/dog-missing-and-house-a-total-loss-in-western-colorado-springs-fire/article/1574717?custom_click=rss http://gazette.com/dog-missing-and-house-a-total-loss-in-western-colorado-springs-fire/article/1574717?custom_click=rss

A dog was still missing late Saturday afternoon and a house was declared a total loss after an early morning fire in the Rockrimmon area of Colorado Springs.

Firefighters went to 6962 Blackhawk Place shortly after 1 a.m. on Saturday after several people reported a lot of fire coming from the home, the Colorado Springs Fire Department reported. By the time an engine arrived at what would quickly become a two-alarm blaze, the house was almost completely engulfed in flames.

About 30 firefighters attempted to tame the fire inside the home. But the flames became too much to handle and before 1:20 a.m. all companies were outside the house in defensive attack mode.



Read more on Colorado Springs Gazette


]]>
Sat, 23 Apr 2016 17:56:30 -0600
<![CDATA[Crews respond to fire at Rockrimmon house, explosion heard]]> http://gazette.com/crews-respond-to-fire-at-rockrimmon-house-explosion-heard/article/1574689?custom_click=rss http://gazette.com/crews-respond-to-fire-at-rockrimmon-house-explosion-heard/article/1574689?custom_click=rss

Flames swept through a northwest Colorado Springs home in the middle of the night.

"It was so involved (inside) the house -- and exterior, on the back -- that we remained in a defensive mode, which means no one goes inside the house to fight the fire," Battalion Chief Mike Wittry for the Colorado Springs Fire Department told Gazette news partner KKTV.

Firefighters were successfully able to keep the fire from spreading, but were unable to salvage much of the house.

"We kept the fire from adjacent structures and the adjacent wildland--which was a pretty good concern, there was a hill of trees going right up the back of the house," Wittry said.

Firefighters were called to Blackhawk Drive, in the Rockrimmon area, shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday after someone heard an explosion.

"Calling party said they heard an explosion, then were looking at a lot of fire on the back of the house. Our first arriving company, Engine 12, coming up the street saw a pretty good fire up here."

Those firefighters called for backup help.

Two people made it out of the home. The status of a third occupant was unclear Saturday morning

"At this point, we searched the house from the exterior viewpoint and we have not found anybody, but we have not located the individual they said might be around," Wittry said.



Read more on Colorado Springs Gazette


]]>
Sat, 23 Apr 2016 10:57:14 -0600