Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

More Local Articles

Susan Greene, 2003 Gazette file photo (Carol Lawrence)
The damage and devastation could be seen in the 117 Fire in the Hanover Area on Wednesday, April 19, 2018. (Photo by Jerilee Bennett, The Gazette)
WireObjectName
Jake Bywater, left, with the help of friend Leonard Lasco, right, knocks down hot spots Wednesday, April 18, 2018, in the remains of his 30-foot by 60-foot pole barn that burned in the 117 Fire. Bywater spent the night and day fighting the fire and putting out hot spots. Bywater saved his home but lost the barn, school bus, four boats and the 100-year-old homestead that he and his wife, Kim, had restored. The fire burned 23 homes and about 41,000 acres. (The Gazette, Christian Murdock)
trauma unit
A helicopter drops water on the 117 fire near Hanover Rd. on Wednesday, April 19, 2018. (Photo by Jerilee Bennett, The Gazette)
Colorado Special Session
Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, in an interview with CNN, appears to be opening the door a crack to the idea of re-criminalizing cannabis. ( AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File)
Bronco Billy's Hotel and Casino proposed four-star resort in Cripple Creek will accommodate conventions and feature a ballroom, pool, street-front restaurant, retail space, salon and spa, plus entertainment options. The hotel's Victorian- style brick facia faces historic Bennett Avenue. Photos courtesy of City of Cripple Creek
Eryn Maggard cradles a two-week old goat who lost it's mother in the 117 Fire on Wednesday, April 19, 2018. She carried the kid named Washington around all day, because every time she put him down, the goat would bleat for his mother. Maggard and her husband operate Sugar Snap Ranch in the Hanover area, a ranch that takes in rescued farm animals. On Tuesday, when the fire raged towards them, the Maggards had 3-4 minutes to get as many animals out as possible. They saved many, but a number of their pot-bellied pigs and goats perished in some of the burned structures. The young goat is named Washington, but Maggard's children have nicknamed it Toasty. (Photo by Jerilee Bennett, The Gazette)
The home of Tim and Mindy Emick was one of 23 that burned in the Mile Marker 117 fire. Students from Divine Redeemer Catholic School donated water and snacks to help vicitims as well as firefighters and first responders. Photo by Tim Emick.