• Child who started grassfire in Colorado Springs was under 10 years old

    By Sue McMillin sue.mcmillin@gazette.com -
    Updated: Wed, Jan 28, 2015

    The child who started a fire Tuesday in the Stratton Open Space won't be charged because he or she is under 10 years of age, the Colorado Springs Fire Department said Wednesday in a release. Fire investigators said the child was playing with a lighter. The nearly 6-acre fire in...

  • Juvenile responsible for starting Colorado Springs grass fire

    BY RYAN MAYE HANDY ryanmaye.handy@gazette.com -
    Updated: Wed, Jan 28, 2015

    Shortly after a small grass fire sent up a plume of smoke in southwestern Colorado Springs on Tuesday, firefighters had the 3-acre fire under control. The fire in Stratton Open Space was reported just after 1 p.m. on a warm, dry day when temperatures in Colorado Springs were above 
60...

  • Colorado Springs apartment fire kills dog

    BY KASSONDRA CLOOS kassondra.cloos@gazette.com -
    Updated: Tue, Jan 27, 2015

    A Colorado Springs apartment fire killed a dog Tuesday afternoon. The kitchen fire, at Citadel Village Apartment Homes on North Chelton Road, was reported shortly after 2 p.m. and was quickly contained by firefighters, according to Colorado Springs Fire Capt. Steve Oswald. It didn't...

  • Divide fire department's improved rating could lower property insurance rates

    BY LISA WALTON The Gazette -
    Updated: Mon, Jan 26, 2015

    A fire department with no paid workers might pay dividends for Divide residents. Property insurance premiums in the tiny Teller County town may decrease this year because the Divide Fire Protection District, staffed completely with volunteer firefighters, has improved its fire...

  • Colorado Springs family displaced by chimney fire

    BY LISA WALTON lisa.walton@gazette.com -
    Updated: Thu, Jan 22, 2015

    A chimney fire put a family of four out of their home late Wednesday night, according to Colorado Springs firefighters, No injuries were reported in the fire, which sparked shortly before midnight at a home on the 300 block of South 24th Street. Firefighters responded within five...

  • Cause determined for Colorado Springs house fire

    By Kassondra Cloos kassondra.cloos@gazette.com -
    Updated: Thu, Jan 22, 2015

    A house fire that displaced two adults and two dogs was caused by an electrical problem in the attic, the Colorado Springs Fire Department said Thursday. The fire, reported at 2:30 a.m. Wednesday at 909 Bennett Lane, caused about $83,000 in damages, said Fire Capt. Steve Oswald....

  • County website will post addresses of residents with burn permits

    By RYAN MAYE HANDY ryanmaye.handy@gazette.com -
    Updated: Fri, Jan 16, 2015

    The Board of El Paso County Commissioners voted unanimously on Thursday to pass a burn ordinance that will add a layer of approval for county residents looking to burn slash piles. All five of the six commissioners present voted in favor of passing the ordinance on its second reading....

  • Dog dies in Colorado Springs fire

    BY LISA WALTON lisa.walton@gazette.com -
    Updated: Thu, Jan 15, 2015

    A dog died in a house fire Wednesday evening, according to Gazette news partner KKTV. The fire was reported at 815 E. Yampa Street, near North Prospect Street and East Cache La Poudre Street at about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday night, according to firefighters. Firefighters said one person...

  • Humane Society looking for help in restocking stolen trailer

    BY STEPHEN HOBBS stephen.hobbs@gazette.com -
    Updated: Wed, Jan 7, 2015

    An emergency response trailer belonging to the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region was stolen Christmas Day, dumped on the side of the road and damaged beyond repair, the agency said Tuesday. The Community Animal Response Team trailer was stocked with supplies to house evacuated...

  • New Black Forest Fire chief begins new job

    By Ryan Maye Handy ryanmaye.handy@gazette.com -
    Updated: Tue, Jan 6, 2015

    Bryan Jack, a longtime firefighter and resident of the Pikes Peak region, donned his new uniform Monday as chief of the Black Forest Fire Department. After months of sifting through applications from around the country, the six-person fire department board selected Jack as the...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement