Updated: July 21, 2009 at 12:00 am
Update: Two fights on Manitou Avenue led to the arrest of a Colorado Springs woman on recommended charges including felony assault against an officer.
A Manitou Springs woman’s role in the scuffles got her arrested for suspected misdemeanor assault.
Police initially responded to the Royal Tavern at about 11:30 p.m. July 11. They found Chad Johnson with a torn shirt and a cut eyebrow, saying he was attacked in the bar. His wife — Katherine Johnson, 29, of Manitou Springs — told police only that a tall man and woman had started the fight, according to the report.
During the investigation, police were called away to a disturbance elsewhere, but were called back shortly before midnight to The Keg, about two blocks away. from Royal Tavern. Chad Johnson, now more severely wounded and shirtless, told police the same suspected assailants had run into an alley across the street.
The officers found Laura Keating, 24, of Colorado Springs, in a driveway, screaming at someone in a house, and then at the officers. When they tried to restrain her she continued to scream and try to escape, according to the report. In the ensuing struggle, Keating kicked the officers, and one trying to throw her to the ground fell and bruised his knees.
Keating was eventually placed in leg irons and taken to Memorial Hospital for treatment, then taken to the El Paso County jail, refusing all along to give police her account of what happened. Police requested three misdemeanor charges besides the felony count for assault on an officer.
Witnesses later told police that Chad Johnson started the argument with Keating’s boyfriend that led to the first fight, and that Katherine Johnson started the physical fight with Keating the second time. Katherine got a court summons for suspected misdemeanor assault.
In all, four policemen and two firefighters were involved in the arrests.
• At about 12:45 a.m., an officer stopped a car with no tail lights and found that the driver’s license was suspended for unpaid tickets. She was served a court summons and released.
• At about 4:15 p.m., police spotted a man with an open alcohol container in the 900 block of Manitou Avenue. They found that he was drunk, illegally carrying a knife, and illegally panhandling. He got a municipal court summons, and was released after medical evaluation.
• Officers responded to a report of lost medication at the Park Row Lodge. They found the medicine — and also found that the caller had two outstanding warrants. She was taken to the El Paso County jail.
• Officers contacting a woman for unspecified reasons found that she had an active El Paso County domestic-violence warrant. She was taken to the county jail.
• Police investigated a code complaint at a home in the 300 block of Plainview Place. They found that a collapsed retaining wall had not been fixed, an apparent violation, and referred the matter to the county building department for inspection.
• Shortly after 7:30 a.m., police stopped a suspicious car in the 1300 block of Serpentine Road. They found that the driver had an active warrant, and possessed methamphetamine and marijuana. The suspect was taken to the county jail.
• Police investigated a vehicle break-in in the 400 block of Ruxton Avenue. The caller said a purse and other items had been stolen, some time between 5 and 7:30 a.m. No arrests were made.
• Police took a report of a burglary in the 1200 block of Manitou Avenue. The victim said several items were missing, and that the burglary happened between July 13 and July 18. No arrests were made.
• Police responded to a report of vandalism in the 100 block of El Paso Boulevard. No arrests were made.