Published: March 27, 2014
A ruptured 4-inch gas line caused the evacuation of some Manitou Springs residents, along with the Manitou Springs Library Wednesday afternoon.
But it's back to business today. The public library at 701 Manitou Ave., opened at the normal time of 10 a.m. on Thursday.
The evacuation happened at about 4 p.m. Wednesday, said Manitou Springs Fire Department Captain Randy Perkins.
A contractor installing new drainage on Pawnee Avenue hit the gas line, he said.
Colorado Springs Utilities was called in to stop the leak and repair the pipe, Perkins said. Residents in a two-block radius were evacuated while the work was being done.
"It was a pretty routine call," Perkins said.
And, he said, because it's spring break, no one was at Manitou Springs Elementary School. If school had been in session, the building also would have been impacted.