Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Man uses showerhead to try to extinguish condo fire in northeast Colorado Springs

May 15, 2018 Updated: May 15, 2018 at 6:39 am
0
Caption +
Photo courtesy Colorado Springs Fire Department.

Two people were forced to evacuate their northeast Colorado Springs condominium after a fire started in a fan in the bathroom and filled the home with smoke.

About 2:30 a.m., a man was jolted awake by a popping noise, when he noticed flames in the bathroom of his condo at 3210 Van Teylingen Drive, Gazette news partner KKTV reported. The man tried to put it out with the showerhead, which produced more smoke.

He, alongside another woman in the apartment and their dog, quickly left their home while firefighters evacuated neighboring apartments.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, which was isolated to the ceiling in the bathroom.

Had the man in the condo not woken up to the spark, the consequences could have been worse, said Lt. Kevin Ducy with the Fire Department.

"What can happen is it can smolder in there if it's wiring or that kind of thing, for a long period of time, which can build up dangerous carbon monoxide in the building, so that'll make you go further into deep sleep and you won't wake up if a fire breaks out," Ducy said to KKTV. "If he had his bedroom door shut, he may not have known that [there was a fire] for quite some time and the results could have much different."

Ducy also stressed the need for smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, which this condo did not have.

Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Incognito Mode Your browser is in Incognito mode

You vanished!

We welcome you to read all of our stories by signing into your account. If you don't have a subscription, please subscribe today for daily award winning journalism.

Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

Wake up with today's top stories in your inbox

Wake up with today's top stories in your inbox

or
Already a print subscriber?
Already a digital subscriber?
 
This is your last FREE article for the month
This is your last FREE article for the month

Subscribe now and enjoy Unlimited Digital Access to Gazette.com

Only 99 cents for Unlimited Digital Access for 1 month
Then $2.31/week, billed monthly, cancel anytime
Already a print subscriber?
Already a digital subscriber?

 
You have reached your article limit for the month
You have reached your article limit for the month

We hope that you've enjoyed your complimentary access to Gazette.com

Only 99 cents for Unlimited Digital Access for 1 month
Then $2.31/week, billed monthly, cancel anytime
Already a print subscriber?
Already a digital subscriber?
 

Exclusive Subscriber Content

You read The Gazette because you care about your community and the local stories you can't find anywhere else.

Only 99 cents for Unlimited Digital Access for 1 month
Then $2.31/week, billed monthly, cancel anytime
Already a print subscriber? Get Access | Already a digital subscriber? Log In
 
articles remaining
×
Thank you for your interest in local journalism.
Gain unlimited access, 50% fewer ads and a faster browsing experience.