Man severely burned in Colorado Springs house fire has died, authorities say

By Matt Steiner Updated: December 12, 2013 at 12:07 am • Published: December 11, 2013 | 4:10 pm 0

A man who was severely burned Tuesday evening in a house fire has died, the Colorado Springs Fire Department said Wednesday.

The man, who was found outside the house by firefighters, was taken from a Colorado Springs hospital to a burn unit in Denver, where he died, according to a release. His name has not been released.

Colorado Springs firefighters said the fire erupted when flammable liquid was used to start a fire in the fireplace. It was ruled accidental.

The man's death is the second fire fatality in the city.

Colorado Springs spokeswoman Kim Melchor said the Colorado Springs Fire Department was called to the single-family home on the 2500 block of Tremont Street shortly before 6 p.m. The basement and first floor were engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, the release said.

The fire was contained by 6:20 p.m.

"The CSFD wants to remind our community to never use flammable liquid to ignite a fire within a fireplace or wood stove," the department said in the release.

Comment Policy
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
APR
24
APR
25
APR
26
APR
27
APR
28
APR
29
APR
30
MAY
1
MAY
2
MAY
3
MAY
4
MAY
5
MAY
6
MAY
7
Advertisement