Updated: March 4, 2014 at 5:40 pm
A Florida man who threatened a Monument school on the day of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings and repeatedly left hostile messages directed toward a teacher at the school was found guilty Monday of aggravated stalking by a jury in Santa Rosa County, Florida.
Six staff members and 20 students had been gunned down at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14, 2012 in Newtown, Connecticut when 47-year-old Duane Nancarrow called Monument Academy, and left a threatening message: "You watch the TV and see what's going on in Connecticut, that could happen there, too," according to a release from the from the 1st Judicial Circuit of Florida District Attorney's Office.
Monument Academy went on lockdown after the call, said principal Lis Richard, who testified that young students hid in dark, cramped bathrooms until the school was determined to be safe.
According to the district attorney's office, the threats were directed toward a teacher at the school who was a friend of Nancarrow's ex-wife. Phone records obtained by the Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office showed that Nancarrow called the teacher, Richard Hart, more than 40 times and made 12 calls to the school, each time leaving an threatening message.
In one message, he said, "This is for Mr. Hart ... I'll put a bullet in your brain," according to the district attorney's office.
Nancarrow faces up to five years in prison. His sentencing hearing is scheduled for April 16.