Colorado Springs News, Sports & Business

Latest Colorado news, sports, business and entertainment

Associated Press Updated: October 23, 2014 at 5:15 pm

GOVERNOR-COLORADO-DEBATE

Hickenlooper, Beauprez meet for another debate

DENVER (AP) — Colorado Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper and Republican challenger Bob Beauprez have debated seven times in their too-close-to-call gubernatorial contest. And it's clear they're beginning to get on each other's nerves.

Hickenlooper has likened Beauprez's debating style to a school bully, partly because of name-calling during debates. Beauprez has tried to link Hickenlooper to President Barack Obama and his low approval ratings by using the term "Obama-Looper."

Beauprez used the term again Thursday during a debate hosted by the Colorado Association of Commerce and Industry. It prompted Hickenlooper to ask Beauprez if he thought it was a good sign of leadership to make fun of someone's name during disagreements.

Beaprez said earlier this week he thought Hickenlooper had thicker skin.

ILLEGAL PETE'S-PROTEST

Burrito chain urged to drop 'illegal' from name

(Information in the following story is from: Fort Collins Coloradoan, http://www.coloradoan.com)

FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) — Some people are urging the Colorado burrito chain Illegal Pete's to change its name because of the way the word "illegal" has been used to describe immigrants.

The Coloradan reports that about 30 people gathered in Fort Collins Wednesday to ask owner Pete Turner to change the name of the chain, which is about to open an outlet there.

It's part of a bigger campaign nationally against what critics refer to as the "I-word." They think using the word to describe a person is dehumanizing.

Turner says the name is a reference to a novel he read in college and that "Pete" refers to his name and his father's.

Protesters likened the name to a racial slur used against African-Americans or hanging a Confederate flag in the restaurant's window.

COLORADO SHOOTING

Theater shooting prosecutors agree to trial delay

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) — Prosecutors say they would agree to push back the trial for the man charged in the Colorado theater shootings so defense attorneys can have more time to review his sanity exam.

But prosecutors said in a court filing released Thursday that they would oppose a delay of more than four or five weeks because most of the victims don't want the trial postponed any longer.

James Holmes has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to killing 12 people and injuring 70 in the July 2012 attack on a Denver-area theater. The trial was set for Dec. 8. Defense attorneys say they need more time to review a second sanity evaluation of Holmes that included 22 hours of interviews.

A judge hasn't ruled on whether the trial will be postponed.

BURGLARY SLAYINGS

Teen gets life in Springs burglary slayings

(Information in the following story is from: The Gazette, http://www.gazette.com)

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — A teen convicted of killing a Fort Carson soldier and his pregnant wife during a burglary will likely spend at least 80 years in prison before he has a chance of being paroled.

Nineteen-year-old Macyo January was sentenced Wednesday in Colorado Springs to back-to-back life sentences in the deaths of Staff Sgt. David Dunlap and Whitney Butler. He was 17 at the time and charged as an adult, preventing him from facing the death penalty.

The Gazette reports Judge Deborah Grohs granted him the possibility of parole after serving 40 years for each death because it's required for defendants who were 17 and under at the time of the crime.

Police say the newlyweds were killed after they went home to check on their burglar alarm.

Comment Policy

Our commenting system has changed. Please register or login with your gazette.com account to comment on a story. Click here for information.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement