It's not an official holiday, but don't tell that to your average "Star Wars" fan.
May 4 is a day of celebration by many who use the rallying cry "May the fourth be with you" as a way to proclaim their love for the epic space opera franchise.
And in Colorado Springs, a few opportunities will be available for "Star Wars" fan to celebrate the day - which reportedly dates to May 4, 1979, when Margaret Thatcher became Britain's first female prime minister and a newspaper ad congratulated her feat by using a pun on the famous "Star Wars" catchphrase, "May the force be with you."
Some "May the Fourth Be With You" events in Colorado Springs on Thursday include:
- A free showing of "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Tim Gill Center for Public Media, 315 E. Costilla St.
- A Geeks Who Drink pub trivia quiz with a "Star Wars" theme from 7 to 10 p.m. at Jack Quinn's Irish Pub and Restaurant, 21 S. Tejon St.
- A night of "Star Wars" gaming from 5:30 to 10 p.m. at Gamer's Haven, 5730 N. Academy Blvd.
- A "Star Wars" night from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Painting with a Twist, 1025 Garden of the Gods Road, Suite A; 2834 N. Powers Blvd.; and 115 N. Tejon St.
- A free chicken sandwich or an eight-count chicken nuggets if you come into the Chick-fil-A at 575 W. Garden of the Gods Road from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. dressed up as a Star Wars character.