Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

House fire sparked by lacquer thinner fumes, burning cigarette

February 10, 2014 Updated: February 10, 2014 at 1:20 pm
0

A house fire sparked in Fountain Saturday when a resident used lacquer thinner while smoking, said Fountain Fire Chief Darin Anstine in a statement released Monday.

The fire crews arrived at 10:35 a.m. and saw smoke and flames coming out of multiple windows of the residence on the 6600 block of South Highway 85, Anstine's statement read.

One person was treated by paramedics at the scene for burns and smoke inhalation, while all other occupants of the house got out uninjured, according to the statement.

The fire, which was determined accidental, started when extremely flammable lacquer thinner fumes were ignited by the cigarette, the statement explained.

According to Anstine's statement, the fire caused $175,000 of damage to the structure and is not safe for any occupants. The Red Cross helped the family find alternate housing.

Comment Policy
Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Incognito Mode Your browser is in Incognito mode

You vanished!

We welcome you to read all of our stories by signing into your account. If you don't have a subscription, please subscribe today for daily award winning journalism.

Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

Some news is free.
Exceptional journalism takes time, effort and your support.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

articles remaining
×
Thank you for your interest in local journalism.
Gain unlimited access, 50% fewer ads and a faster browsing experience.