Colorado Springs News, Sports & Business

Gazette Premium Content House fire sparked by lacquer thinner fumes, burning cigarette

By Andrea Sinclair Published: February 10, 2014
By Andrea Sinclair Published: February 10, 2014

A house fire sparked in Fountain Saturday when a resident used lacquer thinner while smoking, said Fountain Fire Chief Darin Anstine in a statement released Monday. The fire crews arrived at 10:35 a.m. and saw smoke and flames coming out of multiple windows of the residence on the 6600 block of...

You've reached your 4 FREE premium stories for this 30 day period*

To continue reading please register for FREE below.

or
*A 30 day rolling period starts the day you first visit the site.
Are you a subscriber and having trouble viewing stories?
Advertisement

A house fire sparked in Fountain Saturday when a resident used lacquer thinner while smoking, said Fountain Fire Chief Darin Anstine in a statement released Monday.

The fire crews arrived at 10:35 a.m. and saw smoke and flames coming out of multiple windows of the residence on the 6600 block of South Highway 85, Anstine's statement read.

One person was treated by paramedics at the scene for burns and smoke inhalation, while all other occupants of the house got out uninjured, according to the statement.

The fire, which was determined accidental, started when extremely flammable lacquer thinner fumes were ignited by the cigarette, the statement explained.

According to Anstine's statement, the fire caused $175,000 of damage to the structure and is not safe for any occupants. The Red Cross helped the family find alternate housing.

Comment Policy

If you are a subscriber or registered user we welcome your comments. Please register or login with your gazette.com account to comment on a story. Click here for information.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement