Gasoline spill sparked garage fire

April 3, 2014 Updated: April 3, 2014 at 7:50 pm
0
photo - The fire department tweeted that crews were battling the blaze at 3:30 p.m. and said the garage was fully engulfed with flames. (Michael Ciaglo, The Gazette)
The fire department tweeted that crews were battling the blaze at 3:30 p.m. and said the garage was fully engulfed with flames. (Michael Ciaglo, The Gazette) 

A motorcycle repair garage was destroyed Thursday afternoon after gasoline reportedly spilled, came into contact with a propane heater and sparked a blaze.

At least one person was treated for minor injuries, Colorado Springs firefighters said.

When firefighters arrived around 3:30 p.m., the garage, at 1302 Richards Ave., near East Cheyenne Road in southeast Colorado Springs, was engulfed in flames, according to tweet from the fire department. Heavy smoke from the fire could be seen from Interstate 25, and an electronic highway sign alerted drivers to the fire.

The fire started after a mishap with a fuel line, said a mechanic who was in the garage when the fire broke out. The man, who did not want to be identified, said things were exploding around him as he and another mechanic grabbled two dogs and ran from the garage.

The mechanic said the garage, and several motorcycles inside, were completely destroyed by the fire.

The adjoining house, a nearby shed, and a truck in front of the house, were also scorched in the fire.

Red Cross also reported that a disaster team was on scene to help.

Gasoline spill sparked garage fire

Published: April 3, 2014

A motorcycle repair garage was destroyed Thursday afternoon after gasoline reportedly spilled, came into contact with a propane heater and sparked a blaze. At least one person was treated for minor injuries, Colorado Springs firefighters said. When firefighters arrived around 3:30 p.m., the...

You've reached your 4 FREE premium stories for this 30 day period*

Already have an account? Login

*A 30 day rolling period starts the day you first visit the site.