Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

WireObjectName
Members of the Manitou High School basketball team pose with a man identified as Professor Maize in this 1906 photograph. Standing in the center with the ball is Art Douglass. RAY TURNER PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 487-114

0
WireObjectName
The interior of the Burns Building (Chief Theater) during its demolition in April 1973. James Burns built Theatre Beautiful, which opened in Colorado Springs on May 8, 1912. In 1928, the theater was converted into a moving-picture house, the Burns Theater. The Burns later became the Chief, which fell into disrepair. When the Exchange National Bank bought it in the early 1970s, it was estimated it would cost as much as $3.5 million to repair. So Exchange National tore it down to create a drive-up bank. MYRON WOOD COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-1469

0
WireObjectName
“Yours truly, Mrs. Emma F. Langdon” is written on this card under the print. The photo is from Langdon’s book, “The Cripple Creek Strike: A History of Industrial Wars in Colorado, 1903-4-5” Langdon worked at the Victor Daily Record, a pro-union newspaper in Victor. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-11152

0
WireObjectName
The entrance to the former Knights of Columbus building on Kiowa Street is seen in this 1978 photograph. From its 1928 construction until its sale in 1937, this building served as the lodge hall for the Knights of Columbus, Colorado Springs Council 582, according to information on the city of Colorado Springs website. Chartered with 25 members in 1901, it was the first council in Colorado. The fraternal organization met in various buildings until a 1924 fundraising drive produced this building, the online history says. It was one of the last commissions of acclaimed architect Thomas MacLaren. Starting in 1937, it was used to house the Colorado Springs Pioneer Association’s historical collection, which formed the foundation of the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum, now in the 1903 El Paso County Courthouse on Tejon Street. The Pikes Peak Library District now owns the Kiowa building. PHOTO BY MYRON WOOD, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-2654

0
WireObjectName
A young man pours toppings on an enormous sundae in this April 1961 photograph while others watch. Stainless steel equipment in the background has the sign “Lyons Root Beer Ice Cold.” The location of the photo is identified on the back as Rastall Center, The Colorado College. CC was established in 1874 as a coeducational institution two years before Colorado became a state, according to a history on the school’s website. The college’s first building, Cutler Hall, was occupied in 1880; the first bachelor’s degrees were conferred in 1882. Since the mid-1950s, the campus has been almost entirely rebuilt. PHOTO BY MYRON WOOD, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-3090

0
WireObjectName
Arlene Sandison plays the accordion while sitting in a front-porch swing at 311 Mesa Road in this July 1, 1956, photograph. The sheet music is titled “Eagerville Waltz.” The accordion was invented by Friedrich Buschmann in 1822 in Berlin, according to the online OnMusic Dictionary. He called it the Handäoline. In 1829, Cyrillus Damian of Vienna created another version of the instrument and called it the accordion because of the addition of buttons, played by the left hand, that sounded chords. (“Accord” is the French term for chord.) PHOTO BY MYRON WOOD, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-10787

0
WireObjectName
Men stand in front of The Board of Trade and Mining Exchange in this photograph from the early 1900s. The Mining Exchange building was opened in 1901 by mining baron Winfield Scott Stratton and originally housed the Colorado Springs Mining Exchange, a stock market where mining corporations shares were traded. The building was gutted and renovated to transform it into The Mining Exchange, A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa, which opened in 2012. CARL MATTHEWS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 005-527

0