Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

WireObjectName
Men stand in front of the Antlers Garage in downtown Colorado Springs in this 1925 photograph. The garage was built in 1922 and, according to a past Gazette story, was the first commercial auto garage built west of the Mississippi River. El Pomar Foundation donated the garage to the Pikes Peak Library District in 1991. Three years later, the library decided to swap the building for the Sand Creek Library property, which the district had previously leased from the El Paso County pension fund. In the swap, the library was given an exclusive lease-purchase option for the garage. The library district then leased the garage from the pension fund before buying it back. The garage was torn down to make room for a parking lot for Penrose Library, but the front facade, adorned with an ornamental elk head and Van Briggle tiles, survived. GORDON SWEET PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 044-5519

0
WireObjectName
This is an undated portrait of James F. Burns, owner of the Portland mine. Burns built Theatre Beautiful, which opened in Colorado Springs on May 8, 1912, with the Russian Symphony Orchestra performing. In 1928, the theater was converted into a moving-picture house, the Burns Theater. The Burns later became the Chief movie theater, but the Chief fell into disrepair. When the Exchange National Bank bought it in the early 1970s, it was estimated that it would cost as much as $3.5 million to repair. So Exchange National tore it down to create a drive-up bank. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-8637

0
WireObjectName
This 1956 photo shows a sports broadcast from the KRDO-TV studio. A cameraman stands behind a large camera filming a man sitting at a desk with the sign “Jack Finlayson” in front of him. At one time, the ubiquitous Finlayson, the first television sportscaster in the city, could be heard or seen daily on five radio and two television broadcasts, according to a 2005 Gazette story. Finlayson, honored as Colorado Sportscaster of the Year six times, died July 29, 1991. MYRON WOOD COLLECTION. COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-3296

0
WireObjectName
This 1913 photograph shows a Packard automobile with tourists on the turntable at Inspiration Point above Manitou Springs on Crystal Park Road. STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION , COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-1018

0
WireObjectName
A large crowd attends a Jaycee Convention in the City Auditorium on June 11, 1949. Banners and signs for candidates hang over the stage while audience members hold signs from states. Signs include “Elmer R. Shippee for Vice President,” “Ohio Proudly Presents Bill Brownfield for Vice-President United States Junior Chamber of Commerce;” “North Dakota All For Hamrick” and “California Proudly Presents Cooper for President; Fall in Line Booming Baird in ‘49.” STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-3547

0
WireObjectName
A view of the Marksheffel Garage at Kiowa Street and Cascade Avenue. A note included with the photo reads: “Marksheffel Garage. Construction was begun in 1914 on this garage which was one of the largest in the world, having at one time the largest floor space of any garage in the U.S. In 1965 Marksheffel Motors company was being dissolved and Silver State Cadillac moved from the building. Much of the building’s space was being used as a parking lot, with Bill Breck Dodge occupying a wing.” The photo is dated Oct. 19, 1966, on the back. COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-4089

0
WireObjectName
A crowd forms outside the J. C. Penney store on Tejon Street in downtown Colorado Springs during a fire sale in this Feb. 23, 1939, photograph. A Sears, Robuck and Co. store and a Purity Foods Store are also visible. The roots of J.C. Penney reach back to 1902, when James Cash Penney opened his first Golden Rule store in Kemmerer, Wyo., according to the company’s website. In 1913, the company incorporated under the name of the J.C. Penney Co. It became a publicly traded company in 1929 — one week before the market crash and the beginning of the Great Depression. The company reached $1 billion in sales in 1951. STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-10444

0