Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

WireObjectName
Observing National Book Week in 1948, Elizabeth Magee reads to children in the McAllister Room at the Carnegie Library in Colorado Springs. The Carnegie Library built in 1905 has been preserved as an annex to the Penrose Public Library downtown. PHOTO BY SLEET BROWN, MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-5199

0
WireObjectName
Members of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity play ball outside their fraternity house at Colorado College in this undated photo. STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-5004

0
WireObjectName
Ute Iron Spring, built over a natural mineral springs in Manitou Springs is shown in an undated photograph. The picture is probably from the 1890s or the early 1900s, based on the horse-drawn carriages in the photo. The pavilion was built by J.G. Hiestand in 1890 at 444 Ruxton Ave., replacing a smaller pavilion. Hiestand, who also worked as photographer for the Cog Railway, ran a curio store and photographic gallery there until his death. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-7297

0
WireObjectName
A baseball game is played on an outdoor field at Colorado College with crowds watching in the grandstands, circa 1901 in Colorado Springs. A note on the back of the photograph reads: “Colorado College Athletic Field. Probably a profession team Millionaires.” The photographer is unknown. CARL MATHEWS COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 005-4173

0
WireObjectName
Maj. William Wagner, the first mayor of Colorado Springs and an officer in the Army during the Civil War, was born Oct. 28, 1836, in Philadelphia. He served as one of three majors in the 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry under then- Col. William Jackson Palmer. After the war, Wagner came with Palmer to Colorado Springs, working with him to build the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad. In March 1876, trustees voted to incorporate Colorado Springs, and the citizens chose Wagner as the first mayor. He was described by The Gazette as a “dignified, unassuming, and polished gentleman of the old school who made many warm and lifelong friendships during the years when he was in Colorado Springs.” Wagner died May 4, 1902, in Short Hills, Essex County, N.J. This photograph was taken in 1876. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-7405

0
WireObjectName
A view of Pikes Peak and the west side of town past the balcony of the semicircular reading room on the south side of the Colorado Springs Public Library building, circa 1905. That year, the library opened at 21 W. Kiowa St. with funds donated by industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie and land granted by Gen. William Jackson Palmer, according to the Pikes Peak Library District. PHOTO BY STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-67

0
WireObjectName
The Jefferson Hayes Davis Auditorium in the Colorado Springs Carnegie Library is shown in a photo from about 1968. The auditorium had just been refurbished after construction of the Penrose Public Library adjoining the Carnegie, which had been built in 1905. STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-1994

0