Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

WireObjectName
The Broadmoor is photographed at dusk on a day in December 1965. The historic hotel was opened by Spencer and Julie Penrose on property they purchased in 1916 and has been frequented by celebrities and statesmen from around the world. PHOTO BY MYRON WOOD, MYRON WOOD COLLECTION, PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-787

0
WireObjectName
In September 1961, children play miniature golf in the Stratmoor Hills neighborhood in Colorado Springs. PHOTO BY MYRON WOOD, MYRON WOOD COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-826

0
WireObjectName
Circa 1959, Cadet Robert Beckel poses for an Air Force Academy basketball team photo. Beckel was a member of the academy’s first class. He went on to become a member of the Thunderbirds aerial demonstration squadron; an aide to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; and later a lieutenant general and commander of the 15th Air Force at March AFB, Calif. He retired in 1992. RAY TURNER PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 487-127

0
WireObjectName
In August 1967, two cars filled with passengers head down the slope on the Mount Manitou Scenic Incline Railway. The railway was built in 1907 as a funicular, or cable railway, to bring water from tanks atop the mountain to the cities of Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs. Shortly afterward, it was turned into a tourist railway and operated until 1990, when a rockslide damaged the railbed. Locals began to use the abandoned railbed, illegally, to hike to the peak and back. It wasn’t until 2013 that legal disputes were resolved and the Manitou Incline became authorized for public use. Its popularity as a fitness challenge draws people from around the world. PHOTO BY MYRON WOOD, MYRON WOOD COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-1554

0
WireObjectName
In January 1962, the spires and rooftop of The Antlers hotel frame a snow-covered Pikes Peak in the distance. Notes on the printed photograph indicate the image is a favorite of photographer Myron Wood. The Antlers as shown in the photograph, with its signature towers, was demolished in the late 1960s and rebuilt as the hotel that stands today. PHOTO BY MYRON WOOD, MYRON WOOD COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-788

0
WireObjectName
A portrait from circa 1904 of William Palmer Kinney, who was an El Paso County judge and president of the Mining Stock Exchange. Kinney (1860- 1922) was born in Wisconsin, graduated from Amherst College and moved to Colorado in 1895. His activities toward improving the Pikes Peak region kept him in the public eye for many years. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-7390

0
WireObjectName
This photograph from the early 1960s shows Boy Scouts Chris Griffith, front left, Jeff Bain, front right, and Rusty Griffith, back right, with Robert Hibbard standing next to the monument for the Boy Scouts of America's fifth national jamboree where Chapel Hills Mall now sits in north Colorado Springs. Hibbard is credited with bringing the jamboree to the city. This monument from circa 1963 was located at U.S. 83 and Razorback Road, and it now sits at Voyager and Briargate parkways in north Colorado Springs. COURTESY OF JIM YAGMIN Courtesy of Jim Yagmin

0