Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

WireObjectName
On Dec. 29, 1926, children play in front of the the Colorado Springs Day Nursery. The nursery was founded in 1897 to provide child care for working women. At its beginning, daily fees were 10 cents for the first child in a fmaily and 5 cents for each additional child. The association that founded the nursery became part of United Way in 1922. The building pictured, at 104 E. Rio Grande St., and is on the National Register of Historic Places and operates under Early Connections Learning Centers. It can serve up to 171 children, ages 2½ to 14 years old. PHOTO BY HARRY L. STANDLEY, MAYALL PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 102-449

0
WireObjectName
Charles Swem, a pharmacist in Old Colorado City, is pictured with his infant son, Charles Jr., at their home at 610 S. Nevada Ave., Colorado Springs in 1912. Charles Jr. grew up to be a meteorologist who served in the army Signal Corps in World War II. RAY TURNER PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 487-68

0
WireObjectName
A portrait of Colorado Springs author and poet Sylvia Inez Whitaker Hunt taken in 1955. Hunt (1899-1983) primarily wrote nonfiction, including “Ghost Trails to Ghost Towns” and “Lightning in His Hand: The Life Story of Nikola Tesla.” Her poetry collections include “Windows Through the Wall” and “High Country.” MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-8921

0
WireObjectName
People wait to tour the American Freedom Train during its stop in Colorado Springs on, Oct. 5, 1975. The train traveled the country in 1975 and 1976 to celebrate America’s bicentennial. The train carried exhibits of historical artifacts and bits of Americana, ranging from a copy of the Declaration of Independence to Judy Garland’s dress from “The Wizard of Oz.” STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-3552

0
WireObjectName
Handwritten on back: “Gertrude Hamilton/ May 2, 1910, 4 years old. Cousins Gertrude + Pauline Hamilton” Gertrude is on the left. Gertrude (Hamilton) Cunningham was an elementary and high school teacher who retired in 1967 from Colorado Springs School District 11 after 38 years of teaching. She was born June 29, 1906, in Colorado Springs to Frank and Aletha (Bason) Hamilton. She was a Kappa Alpha Theta at Colorado College. She was a member of Ivywild Presbyterian Church and past president of Cripple Creek Victor Club. She was also a member of the 50- year Club of Order of the Eastern Star. She was married May 26, 1973, in Colorado Springs to Peter J. Cunningham. Gertrude died Oct. 14, 1997, and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Colorado Springs. RAY TURNER PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 487-97

0
WireObjectName
An undated formal portrait of Julie Penrose. She came to Colorado Springs in 1900 with her first husband, James Mc- Millan, who had tuberculosis and died a year later. She married real estate investor, hotelier and wealthy mine owner Spencer Penrose in 1906. She and her husband formed the El Pomar Foundation in 1937. After Spencer died in 1939, she continued to focus on philanthropy. She died in 1957. PHOTO BY PORTRAITS ANDRE, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-7396

0
WireObjectName
An undated postcard image shows the “Streamliner Cog Train” at the summit of Pikes Peak. The Streamliner coaches were used from 1940 to 1965 by the Manitou and Pikes Peak Railway Co. for its daily tours to the top of Pikes Peak and back. PHOTOGRAPH BY SANBORN, POSTCARD COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 208-9863

0