Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

 Pictures
Helen and James McCaffery photographed urban renewal in Colorado Springs in the 1950s-1970s. Their amateur color slides vividly captured the destruction and rebuilding. Helen and James photographed The Antlers, the Burns Theater, and Glockner Hospital before and after demolition. James passed away in 1983. In 2009, Helen worked with Special Collections volunteer Nita Peters to match pre-and post-demolition images. Helen passed away on Nov. 12, 2017. HELEN AND JAMES MCCAFFERY PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT

0
WireObjectName
In 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt, on horseback, is pictured with a hunting party. The photographer, Horace S. Poley, was acclaimed for his images of the American West and lived and worked in Colorado Springs from 1892 to 1935. PHOTOGRAPH BY HORACE S. POLEY, POLEY COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 010-7135

0
WireObjectName
In this 1938 photo, demolition is underway on Colorado Springs High School. The ornate building was built in 1893. It stood on the same site as the current Palmer High School at Platte and North Nevada avenues. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-4523

0
WireObjectName
In a photograph from 1915, elegantly dressed men and women celebrate the 20th wedding anniversary of J. Arthur and Mary A. Connell at The Antlers in downtown Colorado Springs. Information on the back of the photo states the dinner was hosted by Helen B. Anderson. Guests named on the back of the photo include Butler Williamson, Louise Shove, Benjamin C. Allen, Edith Smith, F. Gilpin, Wilfred Hager, Emma M. Gilpin, F.D. Smith, Florence Turner, Eugene P. Shove and Clarrissa Butler Hager. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-2284

0
WireObjectName
Old Colorado Springs City Hall is pictured in this undated photograph, as viewed from the building’s south side on Kiowa Street. The Classical Revival-style building, built in 1904, fronts on North Nevada Avenue. Designed by Thomas P. Barber and Thomas MacLaren, the building is on the National Register of Historic Places. Since 1980, many city governmental offices have moved elsewhere, including the Police Department and a number of administrative offices. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-4773

0
WireObjectName
People line a wooden grandstand in this image from Sept. 4, 1916. Notes on the back of the photograph state: “World’s Lightweight boxing championship match. Freddy Welch of England, then champion, fought America’s Charley White in a specially constructed stadium in 1916. A section of the wooden bleachers collapsed injuring many spectators.” A Colorado Springs Gazette article of the time reported the fight was organized by the Colorado Springs Athletic Club as a way to publicize the city. The stadium was on the north side of the 500 block of East Colorado Avenue (then known as Huerfano Street). Before the fight, a section of the stands collapsed, the article said, with a reported 187 people injured, two of whom died later of their injuries. After an hour’s delay, the fight took place. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-5396

0
WireObjectName
A pickup truck sits loaded with hay with two dogs sitting on top in a field with a horse watching in Franktown. The photo was taken in March 1975. PHOTO BY MYRON WOOD, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-3116

0