Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

WireObjectName
In a photo taken around 1920, a patient lounges in a sitting room at the Cragmor Sanatorium. The prominent Colorado Springs facility treated mostly well-to-do patients with tuberculosis and other ailments. H. CHASE STONE PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 051-178

0
WireObjectName
An undated studio portrait of Victor W. Hungerford, who was mayor of Colorado Springs from 1927 to 1928. Hungerford (1875-1949) was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and practiced law in New York before moving to Colorado Springs in 1909 for his wife’s health. Besides practicing law in the Springs, he organized a Colorado National Guard unit and served in France in World War I. PHOTOGRAPH BY J. ALFRED MITCHELL, MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, 001-11136

0
WireObjectName
In this 1951 photograph, the residence of Irving Howbert on Weber Street in downtown Colorado Springs. MARGARETTE M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-9545

0
WireObjectName
A November 1962 photograph shows the Out West Publishing Co. buildings that sat at 15 E. Pikes Peak Ave. in downtown Colorado Springs. Out West was established in 1872, putting it at the time of the city’s official incorporation. The business was originally named Out West Printing & Stationery Co., which moved into the building at left in the 1890s. The Out West, Colorado Springs’ first newspaper, also was published by the company. That newspaper eventually became the Colorado Springs Gazette. The buildings pictured have been demolished. STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-4705

0
WireObjectName
This undated studio portrait is of Irving Howbert (1846-1934), an important figure in the establishment of Colorado Springs. The Indiana native moved to the Colorado Territory in 1860. He enlisted in the 3rd Colorado Cavalry at age 18 and fought against Cheyenne and Arapahoe in the battle known as the Sand Creek Massacre. After military service, Howbert was elected clerk and recorder of El Paso County and later served in the Colorado Senate. STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-8398

0
WireObjectName
On Nov. 14, 1947, Colorado Springs Fire Company No. 3 and the city utilities department came to the rescue of a gray tabby cat that got itself stuck for four days atop a 40- foot utility pole at 724 N. Spruce St., with power lines carrying 6,500 volts of electricity. Utilities lineman William M. Akin is the worker who climbed to rescue the cat. PHOTOGRAPH BY STANLEY L. PAYNE, STAN PAYNE COLLECTION, 004-10536

0
WireObjectName
People gather around the outdoor swimming pool at the Antlers Hotel in downtown Colorado Springs, circa 1955. Colorado Springs founder Gen. William Jackson Palmer built the original Antlers, which opened June 1, 1883. The hotel was destroyed by an 1898 fire, rebuilt and reopened three years later, then torn down in the 1960s and rebuilt and reopened in 1967. PHOTO BY STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 032-5154

0