Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

WireObjectName
Cars drive up Nevada Avenue in Colorado Springs on a wet night, passing Cooper Theatres, in this November 1973 photo. According to a history posted online by the Cooper Foundation, the Cooper Theatres Inc. chain was assembled across the Great Plains in the era of Art Deco theaters. Cooper Theatres broke ground in Denver for its first Cinerama Theatre on May 17, 1960. In 1963, the foundation broke ground in Colorado Springs for the new Cooper 70 Theatre. The Cooper Theatres chain was sold to Commonwealth Theatres in 1979. PHOTO BY MYRON WOOD, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-1715

0
WireObjectName
An evening photo in 1925 of Cragmor Sanitarium, now the site of the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. Cragmor opened in 1905 under the direction of Dr. Edwin Solly, who chose famed architect Thomas MacLaren to design the facility. “Edwin Solly was able to articulate, through Thomas MacLaren’s architecture, a belief that beauty and creativity are charitable neighbors of the healing arts, “ states a history of Cragmor posted online by UCCS. H. CHASE STONE COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 051-6142

0
WireObjectName
Banker H. Chase Stone on March 5, 1941. According to a biography on the Pikes Peak Library District’s website, Stone started as a cashier at the First National Bank in Colorado Springs in 1935. In five years, he became assistant vice president of the bank, then vice president and, finally, president. Stone became a leading champion of Colorado Springs’ economic development. He died in 1966. PHOTO BY SHEWMAKER’S CAMERA SHOP, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 051-10417

0
WireObjectName
Platte Avenue in Colorado Springs is seen in this undated photo, showing a wide, unpaved street with houses on both sides and snow-covered mountains in distance. A dog lies in the center of the street at right. Telegraph/telephone poles line the street at right. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION , COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-5035

0
WireObjectName
This 1927 photo shows lines of girls exercising in a field in front of Colorado Springs High School. The school opened in 1893. The original building was replaced in 1939 and the school was renamed Palmer High School in 1959. PHOTO BY HARRY L. STANLEY, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 102-442

0
This 1962 photo by Myron Wood gives a view view looking up the slope of Ski Broadmoor from inside the Winter House at the base of the hill. (002-754) Courtesy Special Collections, Pikes Peak Library District
A view from inside Winter House at Ski Broadmoor up the slope with skiers in February 1962. The tiny ski area, with 300-foot runs, a chairlift and snow-making equipment, opened in December 1959. It closed in 1991, done in by the region’s fickle weather. PHOTO BY MYRON WOOD, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-754

0