Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

WireObjectName
U.S. Army infantry officer 1st Lt. Myron Wood in dress uniform sitting in 1945 on a rock with a cactus to the right. Decorations on his uniform include the Purple Heart, the Bronze Star and European Theater campaign ribbons. He wears three Overseas Service Bars on his left sleeve, indicating that Wood had served at least 18 months in a combat zone. The image was probably taken in New Mexico where Wood was sent to recuperate from wounds received in combat. Note the moccasins he is wearing. MYRON WOOD COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-6127

0
WireObjectName
View of area surrounding Cragmor Sanitarium in 1925, now the site of the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. The Pikes Peak region’s high altitude, mineral springs and ample sunshine were once touted to help cure tuberculosis. Thousands worked in the area’s many sanitariums. H. CHASE STONE COLLECTION , COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 051-6141

0
WireObjectName
This April 1973 photo shows a view of the balcony at the Chief Theater in downtown Colorado Springs, with rows of seats and a decorative starburst pattern above the lower door. The theater was previously the Paramount Theater, and before that the Burns Theater. The Chief Theater was torn down after it fell into disrepair. The Burns Theater opened in 1912 and, as stated in a Gazette story from a few years, represented everything grand about Colorado Springs. Jimmy Burns, a plumber-turned-gold-miner, financed its construction. On opening night, a Russian symphony played to an audience of 1,500. MYRON WOOD COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-2862

0
WireObjectName
A front view of Colorado Springs High School in 1915, showing clock tower and bicycle racks in front. The school opened to students in January 1893. The structure was replaced in 1939, and the school was renamed Palmer High School in 1959. STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-1084

0
WireObjectName
A view of the Cragmor Sanitarium grounds in 1925. Cragmor Sanitarium, now the site of the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, catered to the wealthy and was reported to be like a cruise ship, with parties that lasted late into the night and its own literary magazine. It opened in 1905 and was one in a series of sanitariums built in the Colorado Springs area as the treatment of TB became a major industry. A history of Cragmor posted online by UCCS says it was “the most luxurious palace for well-to-do consumptives in the United States.” H. CHASE STONE COLLECTION , COURTESY OF THE PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 051-6140

0
WireObjectName
A view of downtown taken in 1933 from Pikes Peak Avenue looking west. The Antlers Hotel is visible at the end of the street. Pikes Peak is visible in the background. Signs on various buildings: “Trade with the boys Barnes-Woods Co. Fine Clothes,” “Ambassador Shirts,” “Dobbs Hats,” “Butcher Drug Comp,” “Kodak Films,” “Smoke M&O Cigars,” “Colorado Cold Cream for Colorado Climate,” Arrow Hotel,” “City Caf,” “Rialto,” “Paramount” and “Ms Rae Restaurant.” STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS , COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-8506

0
WireObjectName
Newlyweds Jimmy and Gloria Stewart at The Broadmoor hotel on Aug. 16, 1949. Jimmy Stewart had been “Hollywood’s favorite bachelor,” according to The Los Angeles Times, and before meeting Gloria had said he would never marry. Gloria shared her husband’s interests in skeet shooting, fishing, animals and travel. A fan magazine in 1985 called their partnership “Dream Factory’s Outstanding Marriage.” Gloria Stewart died in 1994, while Jimmy Stewart died in 1997. BOB MCINTYRE, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 045-6060

0