Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

12 historic churches in the Colorado Springs area

Take a walk through downtown Colorado Springs, and you might notice an abundance of churches, chapels and missions that serve the city. But these buildings, with their beautiful Gothic and Romanesque architecture, among other forms, aren't just a nice subject for a picture. The churches in Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs serve as landmarks of the rich history that the city has to offer. Here are 12 historic churches in the Colorado Springs area. All churches listed hold services for those interested in attending. - Hannah Harvey, The Gazette

Shove Chapel

Shove Memorial Chapel

Address: 1010 N Nevada Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903

Built in 1931, Shove Memorial Chapel sits on the Colorado College campus. The chapel is a "non-denominational place of worship," according to the Colorado College website, welcoming those of all Christian faiths to practice their religion. In 1928, local businessman and later chairman of the board for CC, Eugene Percy Shove, provided funding for the chapel's construction, which was to honor his clergymen ancestors. 

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0
First United Methodist Church

First United Methodist Church

Address: 420 N Nevada Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80903

As Colorado Springs began to take shape late in the 19th century, so did First United Methodist Church, which was founded in 1871. It was the first church to be founded in Colorado Springs, according to the First United Methodist Church website.

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0
First Congregational Church

First Congregational Church

Address: 20 E St Vrain St, Colorado Springs, CO 80903

The First Congregational Church of Colorado Springs doesn't sit too far from Colorado College -- and that's for a reason. According to the Colorado Springs North Downtown Walking Tour, the church was founded in 1874 alongside CC, where the two first reverends, Jonathan Edwards and James Dougherty, held positions. Today, the Our Faith community uses the building for its services. You can also visit the Gregg Library inside West Building attached to the church, which is named in memory of Rev. James B. Gregg.

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0
Chadbourn Gospel Mission

Chadbourn Community Church

Address: 402 Conejos St, Colorado Springs, CO 80903

Located just a few minutes away from the heart of downtown Colorado Springs, Chadbourn Community Church, which also goes by Chadbourn Spanish Gospel Mission, was founded in 1930 by Ruth Chadbourn. It served as a place of religious and educational support to the Conjejos District, home to the Mexican community that worked on the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad. The church is the only structure that still resides from the Conjejos District, according to the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties. Grandchildren and children of earlier members still use the space to hold weekly church services. 

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0
Sacred Heart Catholic Church

Sacred Heart Catholic Church

Address: 2030 W Colorado Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80904

Located in Old Colorado City, Sacred Heart Catholic Church is a worthwhile visit. According to The Catholic Diocese of Colorado Springs' website, the church began as a mission of Manitou Springs' Our Lady of Perpetual Help in 1888. The church expanded in 1922 and was renamed to its current namesake. It's now one of three churches in the Diocese of Colorado Springs, alongside Our Lady of Perpetual Help and  Holy Rosary Chapel. 

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0
<p><strong>Our Lady of... Pictures

Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Address: 218 Ruxton Ave, Manitou Springs, CO 80829

In 1860, the parish formed for settlers new to the area. A few years later, in 1889, Our Lady of Perpetual Help was built at its current location on Ruxton Avenue, but it burned down in a fire shortly after in 1903, according to the Catholic Diocese of Colorado Springs' website. The current building has been around since and has served as a mission that expanded from Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Old Colorado City. The church remains in use with regular Mass at 10:15 a.m. on Sundays.

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0
<p><strong>St. Andrew's... Pictures

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

Address: 808 Manitou Ave, Manitou Springs, CO 80829

St. Andrew's has been around since 1874. The first church members held sermons in tents led by Rev. J.F. Walker from a neighboring church in Manitou's neighbor, Colorado Springs. Three years later, the church was officially recognized, and William Bell, a physician and founder of Manitou Springs, donated a sum of money to build a church. In 1904, after issues with funding and an economic downturn in Manitou, the church was completed to what it is today.

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0
Episcopal church

Grace and St. Stephens Episcopal Church

Address: 601 N Tejon St, Colorado Springs, CO 80903

Grace and St. Stephens Episcopal Church has been around since 1872 and is still in use today. Although the church was founded in 1872, construction wasn't fully completed until 1926 when the tower building was added. The double name is also due to a group that left the Grace Church, which was built in 1874 on Pikes Peak Avenue, in 1893 to form St. Stephens, which currently serves as the Guild Room in the present building. According to Grace and St. Stephens' website, the two parishes later merged together to form the Episcopal church that stands today. 

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0
St. Mary's Catholic Cathedral

St. Mary's Catholic Cathedral

Address: 22 W Kiowa St, Colorado Springs, CO 80903

You might have seen this historic cathedral right as you exit I-25 into the heart of the city. The Gothic-style cathedral opened in 1891 and was renovated in 2003. Considered the "mother church of the Pikes Peak Region," St. Mary's has held services for Catholic followers for over 100 years, according to the church's official website. Construction was completed in 1898, with bell towers being added in 1902. The church has an outreach program to the Hispanic Community that started in 2007.

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0
First Presbyterian Church

First Presbyterian Church

Address: 219 E Bijou St, Colorado Springs, CO 80903

Like many of the historic churches in Colorado Springs, First Presbyterian Church got its start right when the city was taking shape. The now 145-year-old church was founded in 1872, according to a 2016 Gazette article. But what makes this church unique is the timeliness of its formation; First Presbyterian was founded 16 days before Colorado Springs filed for incorporation in the Colorado territory. Now, the church, which is part of A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians, hosts one of the largest congregations in Colorado Springs.

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0
<p><strong></strong><strong... Pictures

First Baptist Church

Address: 317 E Kiowa St, Colorado Springs, CO 80903

First Baptist Church was founded in 1872 in downtown Colorado Springs. At the time, only 300 residents inhabited the Springs, according to First Baptist's Church's website, including a group of Baptist church members who wanted to start their own congregation in the city. Since then, a few additions have been made to the church, including an education building in 1955 and the most recent renovation in 1991. The Romanesque architecture is appealing for many, along with stained-glass windows.

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0
St.George's Anglican Church

St. George's Anglican Church

Address: 217 E Pikes Peak Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80903

Originally a night club and a restaurant, St. George's Anglican Church was restored by a parish consisting of members from Grace Church and St. Stephens, according to the church's official website. The group transformed the building, originally constructed in 1874, as a new place for their worship in 2011. Prior to housing Anglican churchgoers, St. George's was the Grace Episcopal Church. The church is now named after St. George, a Roman soldier who was martyred for his faith.

More information can be found here.

Hannah Harvey / The Gazette

0