Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

WireObjectName
An unknown photographer took this portrait of Simeon J. Dunbar(1842-1927). Dunbar was a former Colorado Springs councilman who sought to improve the city’s water system and enlarge its reservoirs. He also established a monthly auditing and printing of annual city financial reports. Dunbar was also a member of the All Souls Unitarian church. His wife, Susan T. Dunbar, was a local author, who wrote about travel and scenery of the region. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-8744

0
WireObjectName
A large stairway in Glen Eyrie with paneled walls, decorative molded ceilings and large window flanked by sculpture on the landing. A bearskin rug is in foreground; stuffed birds are perched above a small table at left and on newel post on stairway. A framed painting of Whistler’s Mother is on the wall next to staircase. Built in 1871, Glen Eyrie was the estate of Gen. William Jackson Palmer, the founder of Colorado Springs. It was remodeled in 1881 and made to resemble a stone English Tudor-style castle in 1904. Since 1953, Glen Eyrie has been owned and operated by The Navigators’ ministry. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-2143

0
WireObjectName
This is a 1898 photograph of the parsonage of Methodist Church. The description on the back reads: “Large wood-frame building with porch on unpaved road with other houses around. Bicycle sits on porch.” The photo identified on back as “Parsonage of Methodist Church 1115 North Cascade Avenue.” According to the Colorado College website, the house that stands at this location today was built in 1922 and became part of the Colorado College campus in 1985. Previously, it was the college’s retired faculty offices and is now the Biological Science Curriculum Study Office. The downtown Methodist church in Colorado Springs is now named First United Methodist Church, and according to its website, was founded as the first church in Colorado Springs in 1871. It is now one of the city’s largest and most active congregations and is at 420 N. Nevada Avenue. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF THE PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-5050

0
WireObjectName
The Marksheffel Garage is seen in 1967 during its demolition to make way for the Penrose Public Library in downtown Colorado Springs. The Carnegie Building is visible in the background, and St. Mary’s Church can be seen at the back right. The photographer is unknown. According to a Gazette story from 2010, Marksheffel Road was named for the family that built and ran the giant Marksheffel Garage and Marksheffel Motor Co. starting in the early 1900s. The automobile garage faced onto Kiowa Street at Cascade Avenue and covered the eastern portion of the block where the Penrose Public Library is today, west to the Carnegie Library. The car lot was across Kiowa. Notes from the library’s Special Collections show that in 1914 the garage was “one of the largest in the world, having at one time the largest floor space of any garage in the U.S.” Over the years, the building contained Adams Motor Co. (1950s) and Silver State Cadillac, and Bill Breck Dodge had a portion of the building in the mid-1960s when other parts of the garage were a downtown parking garage. The Marksheffel company was dissolved in 1965. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-2001

0
WireObjectName
This photograph shows the new Colorado Springs High School under construction with a cleared lot and construction equipment. Part of the building at right has been removed and patched with lumber. “Colorado Springs High School Colorado Springs, Colorado P.W.A. Docket No. Colo. 1283-F March 20 1939 Platt Rogers, Inc. General Contractors Burnham Hoyt Edward L. Bunts Assoc. Archts.” is printed on the lower right of the print. “March” is written (reversed image) on the bottom left of the print. MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-2442

0
WireObjectName
The main hall from the entrance to Carnegie Library. About 1868, citizens of Colorado City showed an interest in building a library and gained sufficient funds to buy a small collection of books, according to ppld.org/history-old-colorado-city-carnegie-library. On Jan. 7, 1896, the Women’s Christian Temperance Union of Colorado City formally opened and dedicated a library they called the Woods Free Library, named after Mrs. Lydia Woods of Manitou Springs, who had donated $1,000 to buy books. In 1901, the library was moved to the Templeton Building at 8 N. 25th St. In 1904, a new library on West Pikes Peak Avenue was opened, thanks to a gift from Andrew Carnegie. He was an industrialist who amassed a fortune in the steel industry. In 1901, he sold the Carnegie Steel Co. to banker John Pierpont Morgan for $480 million. Carnegie then devoted himself to philanthropy, eventually giving away more than $350 million. PHOTO BY BINGHAM AND WOOD, MARGARETTA M. BOAS PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-3401

0
WireObjectName
A sign in the window of a streetcar in this undated photo reads: “Give a Kodak/Stewarts Bros. / 17 N. Tejon.” STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-10865

0