Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

 Pictures
This portrait of Chief Ouray with his hair in braids was taken in 1878. He is wearing a fringed buckskin jacket over a buttoned vest with a watch fob. The photograph is from the Stewarts Commercial Photographers Collection. Ouray was born in 1833 in Taos, N.M., and his name, which means “the arrow,” was given after a meteor shower appeared over the town the night he was born, according to a Denver Post story from 2012. At age 27, Ouray became chief in 1860, and he was selected as principal chief of the Ute Indians in 1868, according to southern ute-nsn.gov. In 1880, Ouray went to Washington, D.C., for treaty negotiations, but the Ute nation lost more land. Later that year, he died outside the Indian agency in Ignacio. PHOTO BY HORACE S. POLEY, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-7486

0
 Pictures
In this 1931 photograph, a portrait of ski jumper James Lewis Dalpes (1905-1998). Dalpes has skis resting on his shoulder and is wearing a sweater that reads: “COLORADO U.S.W.S.A.” STEWARTS PHOTOGRAPHERS COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-8714

0
 Pictures
Stores along North Tejon Street, including Stewart Bros., J.C. Penney, Out West Tent & Awning Co., D & F Clothing Co. and the Boston Store, with a car parked at the curb, circa 1927. STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-882

0
 Pictures
This photo from July 1978 shows the view of Kiowa Street looking west, with Penrose Public Library visible and mountains in background. Signs and stores visible include Perkins-Shearer, Merle Norman Cosmetics, Lloyds Furs, 1st Industrial Bank and Western Federal Savings. The history of public libraries in the region began in October 1885 when the Colorado Springs Social Union established a library at Tejon and Cucharras streets in downtown Colorado Springs. In 1905, a new library opened at 21 W. Kiowa St. with funds of $60,000 donated by Andrew Carnegie and land granted by General William Jackson Palmer. The Penrose Public Library, pictured here, opened in 1968. The facility is built with funds from the El Pomar Foundation during H. Chase Stone’s tenure as president. MYRON WOOD COLLECTION, COURTESY PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 002-1712

0
 Pictures

A scene along East Kiowa Street in downtown Colorado Springs showing Stock Dyers & Cleaners, Public Opinion Printing Co. and Ballou Studios, circa 1912. A Stock Dyers & Cleaners truck and a car are parked in front, and a boy on a bicycle is among the pedestrians on the street. A fire hydrant is visible in front of the building. The photograph comes from the Stewarts Commercial Photographers Collection. PHOTO BY STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-854

0
 Pictures
A portrait of Baroness Pauline de Selys Longchamp in 1939. On the back of the photograph it says: “Granddaughter of Mrs. Spencer Penrose.” PHOTO BY J. ALFRED MITCHELL, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 001-9140

0
 Pictures
The photograph on top is identified as the El Paso County jail in 1974 at 226 S. Cascade Ave. in Colorado Springs, and the photograph on bottom — taken some time after 1982 — is identified as the Pikes Peak Center, which replaced the El Paso County jail. The rephotography composite was created by Special Collections at the Pikes Peak Library District. The photographs are from the Helen and James McCaffery Collection. PHOTO BY JAMES AND HELEN MCCAFFERY, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 266-10127

0