Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Photos: Gallery | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A Look Back

Images from Colorado Springs' past

 Pictures
This September 1944 photograph has this description: A fully-loaded inclined railway car sits before the building at the top of the hill, with crowds of people watching and several standing or sitting on rocks alongside the tracks. Printed on back “Mt. Manitou Scenic Incline Trip to Summit of Mt. Manitou is the longest and highest incline on the globe, is one and one quarter miles in length, with a perpendicular rise of 2,600 ft. Attaining an elevation of 9,000 ft. above sea level. Mt. Manitou Park with its 10 miles of trails, is one of the most beautiful natural parks in all the Rockies. You cannot afford to come to Colorado and not take this splendid scenic trip.” POSTCARD COLLECTION, PHOTO COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 208-9831

0
 Pictures
This photo from February 1947 shows the front view of the Birdsall-Stockdale Motor Company garage with gas pumps in front. Signs outside include “Packard,” “Pontiac,” “Storage Washing Greasing,” “Pontiac Authorized Service” and “Packard Service.” George G. Birdsall founded the automobile dealership in 1920 with Frank H. Stockdale. Birdsall had been elected El Paso County sheriff (1909-17) and had served as one of the two paid members of Colorado City’s fire department, according to the city of Colorado Springs website and his obituary that appeared in the Gazette-Telegraph on Aug. 30, 1956, a day after his death. He was a member of the Colorado Springs City Council for 22 years (1921-43), 14 of them as mayor (1929-43). Birdsall was acclaimed for his leadership in securing water resources and expanding city utilities, and the North Nevada Avenue power plant was named in his honor in 1954. Birdsall died in 1956 at age 79. He was survived at the time by his wife, Mabel. STEWARTS COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 013-4826

0
 Pictures
Uniformed mailmen stand by their bicycles with fully loaded mail pouches in front on Feb. 18, 1927. Other bicycles and cars are parked in background. The photo is identified on the back as “letter carriers starting on delivery.” PHOTO BY HARRY L. STANDLEY, MAYALL PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 102-675

0
 Pictures
In the lower left in this photo, circa 1900, is a backside view of Hiawatha Gardens, a historic “gentleman’s resort,” beer garden, casino, ballroom, concert venue and restaurant in Manitou Springs. The original Hiawatha Gardens main building was built in 1889 by F. L. M. (“Flimflam”) Smith and burned down in 1920. A separate open-air dancing pavilion (built in the late 1890s) survived the fire and was incorporated into the current structure, which was built to replace the one that burned. JAMES O. HERMANSEN PHOTOGRAPHIC COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 314-2328

0
 Pictures
This photo is identified as “From NE corner Kiowa and Tejon.” on Feb. 12, 1930. The signs visible include: “KressBoston Store,” “Penny Co.,” “Emery Studio,” “Colorado Electric Co.,” “Cox Brothers,” “Outwest Tent & Awning Co. / Tents” and “Suits $22.50 O’coats/Furmbilt.” PHOTO BY HARRY L. STANDLEY, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 102-11642

0
 Pictures
This is written on the back of this photo credited to Photo Craft Shop: “Group of rural school directors of El Paso County who visited Colorado Springs’ educational institutions, on February 13, 1917.” Blue Star Service Flag with two stars hanging in window. Building cornerstone 1906.” The service flag was displayed by families who have members serving in the armed forces during any period of war or hostilities the U.S. was engaged in for the duration of such hostilities. MAYALL PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, PHOTO COURTESY OF THE PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 102-11683

0
 Pictures
A low-level elevated view of Manitou Springs looking west in this undated photo. Signs reading “Albany Hotel” and “Hiawatha Hotel” are visible on two of the buildings. The Redstone Castle is also faintly visible in the foothills to the far left. The Redstone Castle was built in 1890, according to a southwesternghostsandhauntings.blogspot.com/. Over the years, it became known by this name because of its magnificent stature on the hillside and the fact that it is made of red stone that comes from the local quarries. The house may have been vacant for a good portion of its existence, but many believe it to be haunted by spirits from the past. MAYALL PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION, COURTESY OF PIKES PEAK LIBRARY DISTRICT, 102-11849

0