Nothing replaces lost wages.
But thousands of civilian employees who are being furloughed because of federal Department of Defense budget cuts will be able to save money on a restaurant meal, a hotel room and other goods and services in the Colorado Springs area during the time they're off work.
The Colorado Springs Regional Business Alliance and some of its member businesses announced Thursday they've launched "Furlough Friday" - a program that offers discounts to furloughed DOD workers.
Beginning today and on each Friday through Sept. 27, furloughed civilian defense workers will be eligible for discounts at several participating area businesses.
Furloughed civilians must show their "common access card" - demonstrating they're a civilian DOD worker - to take advantage of discounts being offered.
The program runs through the 11 weeks that furloughs are in place, said Andy Merritt, the Business Alliance's chief defense industry officer.
"Does it make up for their loss of income? Certainly not," Merritt said. "But it's an expression by the business community that we value their presence here and want them to know that."
Eight area businesses have signed up so far to offer discounts, but Merritt said the Business Alliance hopes to add more in the coming weeks.
- Flatiron’s American Bar & Grill, 2540 Tenderfoot Hill Street, 20 percent off food purchases
- Jack Quinn’s Irish Pub & Restaurant, 21 S. Tejon Street, 15 percent off food purchases
- Jose Muldoon’s, 222 N. Tejon Street and 5710 S. Carefree Circle, 20 percent off food purchases
- Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, 2431 W. Colorado Ave., 1710 Briargate Blvd. and 1016 Citadel Drive E., 10 percent off purchases
- Afassco of Colorado, 1911 Copley Road, 10 percent off purchases
- Canon National Bank, 3204 W. Colorado Ave., 518 N. Chelton Rd., discount on appraisals, up to $400
- Holiday Inn Express, Air Force Academy location, 20 percent of best available rate
- U-Save Car and Truck Rental, 3707 Drennan Rd., 232 N. Circle Drive, 10 percent off quoted rentals
Area businesses that want to offer discounts to civilian Department of Defense workers can participate in the "Furlough Friday" program by contacting Brittany Harp at the Colorado Springs Regional Business Alliance: firstname.lastname@example.org or 575-4317.
Contact Rich Laden: 636-0228
Facebook Rich Laden