May 16, 2014 Updated: May 18, 2014 at 5:23 pm
- Colorado BBQ Challenge, June 12-14, Frisco, townoffrisco.com: Some 70 barbecuers compete for a variety of awards in categories including pork, ribs, chicken, brisket, barbecue sauce, side dish, salsa and dessert. There are chef demonstrations, pig races, a whiskey tour and musical entertainment.
- Fiddles, Vittles and Vino, July 27, Rock Ledge Ranch, 578-6777, fiddlesvittlesandvino.com: There will be a sampling of foods from 19 local, independent restaurants, wines and beers from several vendors and bluegrass music from four bands. Cost is $45 per adult before July 20.
- Palisade Peach Festival, Aug. 14-17, Palisade, 970-464-7458, palisadepeachfest.com: The festival features all things related to the sweet, juicy fruit that this region is famous for producing. During the weekend, there is a pancake breakfast, ice cream social and the popular peach recipe contest.
- Strawberry Days Festival, June 20-22, Glenwood Springs, 970-945-6589, strawberrydays festival.ning.com: At 117 years, it's one of the older civic celebrations west of the Mississippi. There's a parade, food court, free strawberries and ice cream in the park and live entertainment all weekend.
- Taste of Creede, May 24-25, Creede, 658-2374, creede.com: A festival of fine dining and fine art takes place on Main Street. There are chef competitions, bake-off challenges, restaurant tastings, live music and tours of the Creede Repertory Theatre. Admission is free; food samples can be purchased at booths.
Teresa J. Farney, The Gazette