Updated: April 2, 2014 at 8:19 am
A Fort Carson soldier's 13-year-old son is among the 22 people listed as still missing in Washington, where mudslides killed dozens of people on March 22.
Staff Sgt. Jose Mangual, 41, of Fort Carson's 1st Brigade Combat Team left to begin searching for his missing son, Jovan, in Arlington, Wash. when he heard he was missing on March 24.
A Snohomish County Sheriff's Office list of missing people included Jovan's name, confirming he is among those unaccounted for
"I know that Jose joined the search teams up there, and they still haven't found Jovan," said Mangual's brother, Juan Mangual on Tuesday. "He's spending all his time looking for his boy."
Jovan was with his mother in Arlington when the mudslide struck, and no one's heard from him since, Juan Mangual said.
The mudslide swallowed an area one-square-mile in size and was up to 15 feet deep in some areas. Debris fields were 75 feet deep in some places, severely complicating search and rescue efforts to locate survivors and recover the bodies of 27 people who have been confirmed dead so far.
"We want to do all we can to find the victims and give some closure to their families," said Snohomish County Executive Director Gary Haakenson in a statement Monday.
Scores of homes, recreational vehicles and cabins on more than 50 plots of land were leveled by the mudslide and the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office said at least half of the structures were occupied when the disaster struck.
Fort Carson officials released a statement Tuesday supporting Mangual.
"The 1st Brigade Combat Team joins the entire Fort Carson community in holding Staff Sgt. Jose Mangual, and all those affected by the mudslide in Washington, in our thoughts and prayers. We will continue to support him and his family through this tragedy."