July 28, 2014 Updated: July 28, 2014 at 7:30 am
LIGONIER, Ind. (AP) — A northern Indiana museum that originally served as a synagogue for a thriving Jewish population will receive a state historical marker next month.
The marker honoring the 125-year-old former temple will be unveiled Aug. 31 in the Noble County town of Ligonier (lihg-uh-NEER').
The brick building that's adorned with stained-glass windows was dedicated in 1889 by the congregation Ahavath Sholom, which means "peace loving" in Hebrew.
German Jews who immigrated to the U.S. in the 1850s thrived in Ligonier, some 40 miles northwest of Fort Wayne. But their numbers declined in the early 1900s as opportunities in large cities lured away younger residents.
The synagogue held its last Jewish service in 1954, and the building became the home of the Ligonier Historical Museum in 1989.
Online: Ahavath Sholom: http://ligoniertemple.blogspot.com