If you see smoke in the distance from Woodland Park, Monument or Divide over the next few months, no need to panic.
The U.S. Forest Service announced this week that it will start annual burning of slash and brush piles, collected from forest thinning projects, in about a week.
On days when weather cooperates - no beginning date has been set yet - crews will conduct the burns in these areas:
- Woodland Park Work Center off Rampart Range Road north of Woodland Park
- West of Colorado Highway 67 on Forest Service Road 339
- North of Woodland Park on Forest Service Road 346, east of the Manitou Experimental Station
- East of Teller County Road 51 northwest of Divide.
- North of Forest Service Road 511, north of Divide
- West of Forest Service Road 364 north of Divide
- Monument Fire Center off Mount Herman Road West of Monument
Officials said fire crews will be on hand to monitor the burns but piles may be left unattended if snow cover is adequate.