If you are prepping for a rookie draft, here is how the first round of my dynasty league rookie draft went. The owners in this league are legit, at least that is what I keep telling myself after my terrible finishes. It's a 12-team league non-point per reception. The league also includes individual defensive players. I'll post each round after it is complete.
Here is a look at how the first round went.
1. Leonard Fournette, Jacksonville, RB (My pick) I went with Fournette since it's not a PPR league. I still think Cam Newton is going to get the goal-line carries in Carolina. I would have gone with Dalvin Cook had I not taken Fournette, but there were no reaches in the top 5 picks. I am not scared of running backs despite my horrible past with rookies Knowshon Moreno and Jahvid Best.
2. Corey Davis, Tennessee, WR
3 Christian McCaffrey, Carolina, RB
4. Joe Mixon, Cincinnati, RB
5. Dalvin Cook, Minnesota, RB
6. Kareem Hunt, Kansas City, RB
7. Mike Williams, Los Angeles Chargers, WR
8. Samaje Perine, Washington, RB
9. O.J. Howard, Tampa Bay, TE
10. Alvin Kamara, New Orleans, RB
11. Jarrad Davis, Detroit, LB
12. Reuben Foster, San Francisco, LB
13. Jamal Adams, N.Y. Jets, safety (my pick) I was hoping that Davis or Foster would fall to me, but I was happy to get Adams. Thursday, when the Jets traded Calvin Pryor to the Browns, I felt a lot better about Adams' chances of being an impact player in his first year. He turns 22 in October.
14. John Ross, Cincinnati, WR
15. David Njoku, Cleveland, TE
16. Myles Garrett, Cleveland, Defensive end
17. Evan Engram, N.Y. Giants, TE
18. Zay Jones, Buffalo, WR
19. Haason Reddick, Arizona, LB
20. Jamaal Williams, Green Bay, RB
21. Jabrill Peppers, Cleveland, safety
22. Zach Cunningham, Houston, LB
23. Solomon Thomas, San Francisco, DE
24. Deshaun Watson, Houston, QB
Round 3 - I have three picks
25. Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City, QB (my pick): Again, the person I really wanted went one pick before I selected. I was hoping Watson would fall, but Mahomes isn't a big drop for me. I'm set at QB for two years and can wait for him to develop. Andy Reid is finally making changes to that offense.
26. D'Onta Foreman, Houston, RB
27. Marlon Mack, Indianapolis, RB
28. JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pittsburgh, WR
29. Dede Wastbrook, Jacksonville, WR
30. Gerald Everett, L.A. Rams, TE
31. Derek Barnett, Philadelphia, DE
32. Malik Hooker, Indianapolis, S (my pick): My secondary was a weakness last season, and I'm really pleased to add Hooker with Adams. If he recovers from offseason surgeries quickly, he could be a Day 1 starter. I know have two young (21) safeties on my roster.
33. Mitchell Trubisky, Chicago, QB
34. Joe Williams, San Francisco, RB (my pick): As you can see, I made deals last season to acquire multiple picks this year in round 3. San Francisco traded up to take him, and I expect him to have a chance to be the starter entering next season. Kyle Shanahan is reportedly enamored with his talent.
35. Chris Goodwin, Tampa Bay, WR
36. James Conner, Pittsburgh, RB
37. Raekwon McMillan, Miami, LB (my pick): Surprisingly this is my first LB of the draft. I usually try to load up. McMillan is a backup for me and won't make an impact for at least a year.
38. Jonathan Allen, Washington, DE
39. Curtis Samuel, Carolina, WR
40. Duke Riley, Atlanta, LB
41. Donnel Pumphrey, Philadelphia, RB
42. Jake Butt, Denver, TE
43. Kenny Golladay, Detroit, WR
44. T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh, LB
45. Charles Harris, Miami, DE
46. Carlos Henderson, Denver, WR
47. Wayne Gallman, N.Y. Giants, RB
48. Takkarist McKinley, Atlanta, DE
49. Aaron Jones, Green Bay, RB (my pick): I like Jones, but I am worried that the Packers drafted three running backs. That tells me they don't really love any of the ones they took.
50. Tyus Bowser, Baltimore, LB
51. Taco Charlton, Dallas, DE
52. Budda Baker, Arizona, S
53. Chad Williams, Arizona, WR
54. Anthony Walker, Indianapolis, LB
55. Chad Kelly, Denver, QB
56. Josh Jones, Green Bay, S
57. ArDarius Stewart, NY Jets, WR
58. Derek Rivers, New England, DE
59. Jeremy McNichols, Tampa Bay, RB
60. Obi Melifonwu, Oakland, S
I tried to trade into the fifth round to select Cleveland QB DeShone Kizer out of Notre Dame. I'm surprised nobody took him and I might take a flier on him in the normal draft if he doesn't cost me more than a fifth rounder would have cost.