July 2, 2013 Updated: July 2, 2013 at 2:10 pm
Special additions for July 5 First Friday Downtown
First Friday Downtown includes venues, galleries, and retailers throughout Downtown Colorado Springs. The following are highlights for July 5, 2013, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Retailers add new dimension to First Friday Downtown with featured artists
- Pikes Peak Chocolate and Ice Cream is showcasing hand crafted pieces from old barn wood and fence posts by artist Mark Bowers. Located at 125 + N. Tejon Street.
- Sparrow Hawk Cookware will be feature pieces from Langdon Foss's graphic novel collaboration with Anthony Bourdain, paintings by Diane Vallejo, and modern art by Phil Vallejo. Located at 120 N. Tejon Street.
- Boulder Street Gallery is hosting an opening featuring the paintings and drawings by Trish Moores. Located at 206 N. Tejon Street.
- A new show featuring scooter-themed art will open at The Modbo and S.P.Q.R. galleries. Located at 17b and 17c E. Bijou, in the alley.
- Artwork by Karen Simkiss at the Bridge Gallery. Located at 218 W. Colorado Avenue.
- Meet the artist Tim Deibler at Colorado Expressions gallery, with music by Bobby Jackson Revival. Located at 122 E. Kiowa Street.
- Pottery by Christine Jackson and gourds and jewelry by Dale Necker at Gallery 113. Located at 113 N. Tejon Street.
- Opening for artist Barb Davison at Kreuser Gallery, 218 W. Colorado Avenue.
Also open for First Friday Downtown: Cottonwood Gallery, GOCA 121, and others throughout downtown and the Depot Arts District.
- The Colorado Native Live at Studio Bee concert series will feature a free concert by Benjamin Pratt & GBP. Located at Studio Bee at the Pikes Peak Center, 109 S. Cascade Ave. Doors open at 5:30, show at 6:30.
- Fort Carson 4th Infantry Pop Band for Music in the Park at the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum. Also conducting tours of our outdoor sculptures and scavenger hunts based on the architecture of the historic El Paso County Courthouse. Concert is from 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Pikes Peak Arts Fest
Although not specifically part of the First Friday Downtown series, the annual Pikes Peak Arts Fest begins Friday, July 5, at America the Beautiful Park. The festival will include music, art, and hands-on activities throughout the day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Within walking distance to First Friday Downtown activities, this is the perfect opportunity for patrons to enjoy prior to First Friday Downtown.
All downtown metered parking is free every day after 6 p.m. Several City parking lots offer parking for only $1 in the afternoons and evening, including:
- Bijou/Cascade Parking Garage, 215 N. Cascade Avenue: $1 after 3 p.m. and all day weekends
- City Admin Building Parking Garage, 130 S. Nevada Street: $1 after 4 p.m. and all day weekends
- Kiowa Street Parking Garage, 127 E. Kiowa Street: $1 after 2 p.m. and all day weekends
Galleries located in the Depot Arts District provide parking in gallery parking lots.
About First Friday Downtown
First Friday Downtown features FREE monthly cultural events throughout downtown Colorado Springs. Galleries, museums, cultural organization, and retailers host art openings, artist receptions, performances, and more the first Friday of each month, from 5 - 8 p.m.
Downtown Colorado Springs is designated by the State of Colorado's Colorado Creative Industries as a Prospective Creative District. Included in the district are cultural landmarks, award-winning outdoor sculpture; independent galleries, and other one-of-a-kind cultural and entertainment opportunities.
For more information visit www.downtowncs.com, or contact Downtown Colorado Springs at 719.886.0088.