Colorado Springs fire crews determined that a fire at a home in east Colorado Springs was ignited by a faulty circuit breaker powering an illegal marijuana operation.
On Feb. 9, the Fire Department said firefighters arrived at a single-story, wood-framed residence to find light smoke in the attic. An electrical conduit in the attic was overheating and sparking small, smoldering fires. Crews were able to put out the fires with an extinguisher.
Colorado Springs Utilities crews found unapproved electrical work in the main panel where the fires started, the Fire Department said.
CSU "locked out" the main electrical panel so that a certified electrician can repair the faulty installation.
Twenty-seven marijuana plants- 15 more than the legal grow limit for residential grow operations- were found in the home and confiscated by the Colorado Springs Police Department, the Fire Department said.
No fire personnel or citizens were injured.