South Nevada Avenue was shut down in both directions Thursday afternoon while firefighters extinguished a blaze that started in a homeless camp south of downtown Colorado Springs.
The fire was reported at 2:49 p.m. near South Nevada Avenue and Interstate 25, south of Dorchester Park, said Fire Capt. Brian Vaughan. It was under control by 3:03 p.m.
A tent under the bridge caught fire from either warming or cooking, and the blaze spread to several other tents, Vaughan said.
There were reports of explosions, which firefighters believed were small propane tanks used for cooking, Gazette news partner KKTV reported.
The fire appeared to be accidental, Vaughan said.
Contact Ellie Mulder: 636-0198