Federal money available for home energy improvements

July 9, 2009

The economic stimulus package will soon be putting new windows and insulation into low-income homes in Colorado Springs.

The city announced Thursday it will get $439,000 in federal grant money to help homeowners replace inefficient single-pane windows and put insulation in their attics.

While other city home-repair programs offer loans, this one will pay for up to $10,000 in work, provided the family meets income and other guidelines. The grants are solely for windows and insulation.

"We do have a couple of years to use this money, but the money is not going to last that long. Once this money is gone, the program is going away," said Eileen McMullen, program manager for the city.

Although the city has not yet received the money from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, officials expect it soon, and hope to begin having windows and insulation put in houses before winter.

Participants must submit to a home inspection by the city to ensure their house does not need repairs before the work can be done, and to make sure the windows really need replacing,  McMullen said. If other work is needed, residents can apply for low-interest loans.

"If people have existing double-pane windows and they just want to switch them out to something newer, no," McMullen said.

Homeowners also must first take part in a free weatherization program.

The city is not contributing money to the program, but is soliciting bids and handling the money, she said.

For more information, contact the program manager at 385-6877. Have your 2009 gross household income available.
You  can also visit the program Web site here.


  • Must meet gross annual income limits
    Family of one: $39,650
    Two: $45,300
    Three: $51,000
    Four: $56,650
    Five: $61,200
    Six: $65,700
  • The home must not be valued at more than $240,000 or be listed for sale. It must be a one-unit residence in the city of Colorado Springs and be occupied by the owner. Mortgage, tax and insurance payments must be current. No mobile homes.
  • Homeowners must take part in the free weatherization program for low-income home owners offered by the Energy Resource Center. Call 591-0772.



Comment Policy

LoginORRegister To receive a better ad experience

Learn more
You are reading 0 of your of 0 free premium stories for this month read

Register Today To get to up to 4 more free stories each and every month

  • Get access to commenting on articles
  • Access to 4 more premium pieces of content!
  • See fewer annoying advertisements
We hope you enjoyed your 4 free premium stories
Continue reading now by logging in or registering
Register Now
Already registered? Login Now