Colorado Springs News, Sports & Business

Gazette Premium Content Faulty fireplace to blame for home's $140,000 in fire damages

By Andrea Sinclair Published: February 5, 2014

A fire that displaced a family of four late Saturday started in the fireplace and caused $140,000 in damage, City of Colorado Springs officials said.

Firefighters received multiple calls about a structure fire at 5830 Northwind Drive shortly after 7 p.m. and arrived at the burning home on a short time later, city spokeswoman Kim Melchor said in a release Wednesday.

However, severe winter conditions slowed the firefighters' response and an interior floor eventually collapsed, the release stated.

No one was home at the time of the fire and none of the 30 firefighters who responded were injured.

The four residents were able to stay with relatives, the statement said.

The blaze, which was first reported by an off-duty firefighter who lives across the street from the house, was caused by a failure of the fireplace's flue assembly.

Comment Policy

Our commenting system has changed. Please register or login with your gazette.com account to comment on a story. Click here for information.

You've reached 4 FREE premium stories this month

Simply register to continue. It's free.

Register Learn more

Already registered? Click here to login.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
SEP
16
SEP
17
SEP
18
SEP
19
SEP
20
SEP
21
SEP
22
SEP
23
SEP
24
SEP
25
SEP
26
SEP
27
SEP
28
SEP
29
Advertisement