Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Ex-Fort Carson soldier charged in rape died weeks before trial

April 6, 2016 Updated: April 7, 2016 at 10:23 am
0
photo - Pfc. John Chance Donathan (right), 20, and Spc. Noel Adrian Acevedo-Mercado (left), 21, were charged with raping an intoxicated teen girl in October 2014.
Pfc. John Chance Donathan (right), 20, and Spc. Noel Adrian Acevedo-Mercado (left), 21, were charged with raping an intoxicated teen girl in October 2014. 

An ex-Fort Carson soldier charged in the rape of a 17-year-old girl died last month, three weeks before he was due to stand trial.

Pfc. John Chance Donathan died March 15, according to an obituary published on the website of Wilmington, Del.-based Doherty Funeral Homes. A cause of death wasn't specified. The El Paso County Coroner's Office said it wasn't notified.

A Fort Carson spokeswoman said Donathan was discharged from the Army on March 10 and referred additional questions to Army Human Resources Command, which couldn't be reached.

Donathan, 20, and Spc. Noel Adrian Acevedo-Mercado, 21, were charged with raping an intoxicated teen girl in October 2014.

His trial, scheduled to begin Monday, was called off when Donathan's attorney, David Foley of Colorado Springs, announced the death at a pre-trial hearing last week. Foley did not return a phone message requesting more information.

Acevedo is scheduled for a July 12 trial on three counts of sexual assault.

Prosecutors allege the pair met the girl at a party on Gold Camp Road and later attacked her in a bedroom of her home. The girl said both men held her down during the assault and changed positions when one of them said "switch," according to an arrest affidavit filed by Colorado Springs police. The Gazette typically does not name victims of sexual assault.

Donathan and Acevedo-Mercado were assigned to Fort Carson's 3rd Battalion of the 29th Field Artillery Regiment at the time of the alleged attack. Both were free on $50,000 bail, court records show.

If convicted, Acevedo-Mercado could face up to 24 years in prison.

-

Contact Lance Benzel: 636-0366

Twitter: @lancebenzel

Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Incognito Mode Your browser is in Incognito mode

You vanished!

We welcome you to read all of our stories by signing into your account. If you don't have a subscription, please subscribe today for daily award winning journalism.

Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

Wake up with today's top stories in your inbox

Wake up with today's top stories in your inbox

or
Already a print subscriber?
Already a digital subscriber?
 
This is your last FREE article for the month
This is your last FREE article for the month

Subscribe now and enjoy Unlimited Digital Access to Gazette.com

Only 99 cents for Unlimited Digital Access for 1 month
Then $2.31/week, billed monthly, cancel anytime
Already a print subscriber?
Already a digital subscriber?

 
You have reached your article limit for the month
You have reached your article limit for the month

We hope that you've enjoyed your complimentary access to Gazette.com

Only 99 cents for Unlimited Digital Access for 1 month
Then $2.31/week, billed monthly, cancel anytime
Already a print subscriber?
Already a digital subscriber?
 

Exclusive Subscriber Content

You read The Gazette because you care about your community and the local stories you can't find anywhere else.

Only 99 cents for Unlimited Digital Access for 1 month
Then $2.31/week, billed monthly, cancel anytime
Already a print subscriber? Get Access | Already a digital subscriber? Log In
 
articles remaining
×
Thank you for your interest in local journalism.
Gain unlimited access, 50% fewer ads and a faster browsing experience.