Doherty High School will remain closed this week after two incidents filled the building with heavy smoke last week, according to an alert from Colorado Springs School District 11.
The school, which canceled classes on Thursday and Friday, will be closed through Friday for duct testing and cleanup, the district said Saturday in a tweet.
Students were sent home about 7:50 a.m. Thursday after a piece of wood smoldered in an art room kiln and burned nearby plastic, according to D-11 spokeswoman Devra Ashby. About 11:30 a.m., a dryer in a laundry room at the school caught fire, adding to the smoke that had accumulated in the building.
That day, one man who works at the school was taken to the hospital to be evaluated for smoke inhalation, Ashby said.
Contact Rachel Riley: 636-0108