May 7, 2014 Updated: May 7, 2014 at 3:45 pm
TELLURIDE — Authorities in southwestern Colorado say they have discovered a suspected home hash oil operation after responding to a dog-bite call.
San Miguel County Sheriff Bill Masters says a deputy went to a home outside Telluride on Tuesday after a man was bit in the crotch by a pit bull. He said the deputy saw butane bottles, several trays of suspected hash oil and some other possibly hazardous materials.
Deputies and firefighters requested a search warrant to re-enter the home. It's uncertain whether any charges could be filed because authorities are divided over whether the process is illegal or not.
The butane can create fiery explosions, posing a risk to makers of potent hash oil as well as their neighbors.
The man was bleeding heavily and taken to the hospital.