Conor Oberst dismisses lawsuit against accuser

July 22, 2014 Updated: July 22, 2014 at 11:11 am
0
Caption +
FILE - In this July 29, 2012 file photo, Conor Oberst performs at the Newport Folk Festival in Newport, R.I. A publicist for Oberst says the woman who accused the singer-songwriter of sexual assault in online postings has recanted her statements and apologized. Oberst, a popular singer-songwriter orginially from Omaha, Nebraska, filed a libel lawsuit against Joan Harris in federal court in February 2014 after Harris made her claims on a website last December and elsewhere that Oberst had raped her after a show in Durham, N.C., many years before. (AP Photo/Joe Giblin, file)

NEW YORK (AP) — Singer-songwriter Conor Oberst has dropped his federal libel lawsuit against a woman who accused him of sexual assault in online comments.

The Bright Eyes singer's attorney filed the notice of voluntary dismissal Friday in New York federal court. The move comes after Oberst's publicist released a statement from the woman that says she falsely accused Oberst to get attention and she apologized.

The North Carolina woman made the claims on a website last December, saying that Oberst forced her to have sex after a show 10 years ago in Durham, North Carolina, when she was 16.

Oberst filed the libel suit in February. He issued a statement last week saying he accepted the apology and that he looks forward "to happier times as we all move forward with our lives."

Conor Oberst dismisses lawsuit against accuser

Updated: July 22, 2014 at 11:11 am

NEW YORK (AP) — Singer-songwriter Conor Oberst has dropped his federal libel lawsuit against a woman who accused him of sexual assault in online comments. The Bright Eyes singer's attorney filed the notice of voluntary dismissal Friday in New York federal court. The move comes after Oberst's...

You've reached your 4 FREE premium stories for this 30 day period*

Already have an account? Login

*A 30 day rolling period starts the day you first visit the site.