"Really, really disturbing," is how Colorado Springs Police Chief Pete Carey describes the plot of two 13-year-old Sabin Middle School students arrested over the weekend on suspicion of compiling a "kill list" against classmates and staff - and allegedly planning to act on it.
Carey said it was a "detailed list."
"I'm rather shocked at the information, especially with the ages of the kids," he said Tuesday morning, during an appearance on KRDO Radio.
Police did not disclose how many names were mentioned, but they said parents of students and adults who were on the list had been contacted.
School staff, students and parents were notified Monday morning of the development and arrests.
Using search warrants, police confiscated guns that apparently were accessible to the teens.
It's the "most serious threat we've had that has ever been somewhat founded," said School District 11 Superintendent Nicholas Gledich.
While police would not say how they received a tip about the alleged plot last week, Carey said the incident is "a good example of parents paying attention."
Police have not released the names of the juveniles, who have been booked into a youth detention facility in Colorado Springs. Each is facing two class 6 felonies. The District Attorney's Office will determine whether to charge the teens as adults.