Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Colorado Springs house fire caused by leaking gas line

By: Sue McMillin The Gazette
November 14, 2013 Updated: November 14, 2013 at 4:46 pm
0
Caption +
Fire Fighters work to put out a structure fire at the scene of a two-alarm fire at 4797 Chaparral Road Friday, November 8, 2013. Two people escaped from the home with burns and singed hair after an explosion set the house ablaze. Both people were transported to the hospital. (Kent Nishimura, The Gazette)

An explosion and fire at a Colorado Springs home that sent two people to the hospital was caused by a leaking gas line in the utility room, the Colorado Springs Fire Department said Thursday.

The two-alarm fire on Friday at 4797 Chaparral Road, north of Barnes Road and Oro Blanco Drive, was ruled accidental.

The fire department said a gas line running into the home's utility room was not properly secured and the valve was open.

Several explosions occurred in the house that shook the neighborhood.

The two residents who ran from the house after the explosions were treated at a hospital and released later that day.

Photo gallery of fire.

Comment Policy
Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

Some news is free.
Exceptional journalism takes time, effort and your support.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

articles remaining
×
Thank you for your interest in local journalism.
Gain unlimited access, 50% fewer ads and a faster browsing experience.