Veteran actor Kevin Bacon was spotted in Colorado Springs on Tuesday. Gazette entertainment reporter Jen Mulson and page designer/artist Nichole Montañez couldn't resist a search for the man who, you know, said in 1994 that he had worked with everyone in Hollywood or someone who's worked with them - thus the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon."
- 6:30 a.m.: The Perk Downtown, 14 S. Tejon St.. Actor Kevin Bacon buys a cup of coffee and sits for half an hour reading what appears to be a script, says manager Ashlynn Moore.
- 10:30 a.m.: The Gazette, 30 E. Pikes Peak Ave. After an Arts & Entertainment blog post appears on gazette.com and is shared on Facebook, a reader says her son, who works at a local production studio, is working with Bacon on Tuesday.
- 11 a.m.: Mulson and Montañez embark on the quest to attain one degree of separation: a selfie with Bacon.
- 11:30 a.m.: 7-Eleven, 221 S. Eighth St. Quick stop for stakeout supplies: sunglasses, coffee, doughnuts. The clerk has not seen Bacon but seems rather excited at the prospect.
- 11:45 a.m.: Undisclosed production studio. Employees say Bacon isn't there, but journalists aren't buying it. After explaining the mission, duo is left to wait in the lobby. Seems promising until receptionist announces Bacon's not there.
Outside, Mulson and Montañez stumble onto the son of the Facebook reader. He says that Bacon is in Fountain shooting an indie movie, "Cop Car."
- Noon: Take exit 132B off Interstate 25 to Fort Carson. Oops. Wrong exit. No Bacon here.
- 12:20 p.m.: Fountain Police Department, 212 N. Santa Fe Ave., Fountain. An officer confirms that Bacon and a production crew are in the area shooting a film about a crooked sheriff and two teens who steal his car to go joyriding.
Journalists get contact information for the film producer and learn that one of the other producers is a graduate of Fountain-Fort Carson High School. A call and a voicemail quickly are placed with the producer.
- 12:30 p.m.: Coke's Diner, 311 N. Santa Fe Ave., Fountain. Journalists ask a 20-year-old employee who's cleaning the diner if he's seen Bacon: "I don't even know who that is." Duo is appropriately horrified by that response. Other employees haven't seen the actor, though they are familiar with his work. "I love that guy."
- 12:45 p.m.: Fountain Creek Nature Center, 320 Peppergrass Lane, Fountain. Journalists search high and low for Bacon. Not here. Duo abandons search and heads home.
- 1:15 p.m.: McDonald's, 2705 Janitell Road. Mulson: "Can I get two Kevin Bacon burgers?"
Employee: "Uh ... excuse me?"
Me: "Can I get two Kevin Bacon burgers."
Employee: "Uh ... ... ... ... OK, please pull around."